Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mehearty

Annabelle or Limelight?

mehearty
14 years ago

I had a rose not make it through the rough winter, and now I'm looking for something to put in its place. As much as I love the constant flowering of the roses, I'm not adding anymore because of the evil Japenese beetles.

The area will be in front of the front porch. The porch is about 3 feet off the ground, so the railing is about 6 feet off. I can take something tall there. It's probably about 6 feet wide in there, and there are some clematis crawling up the porch behind where this will go. This is a very important spot right in the center of the porch, so I want long flowering, beautiful blooms (I don't want much, do I? lol). I thought about an ES in that spot, but it's too risky. I need guarenteed blooms.

The area gets sun from sunrise until about 1:00 pm. There is a Tardiva nearby. I like a nice white flower that turns to a pretty pink. The greenish blossoms on LL are pretty, too. I would like the plant to be a good backdrop to the red & pink roses which start to bloom end of June.

I also have a Quickfire in another bed, and I do not like that plant. I don't like the ugly color it turns right in the best blooming period of that bed (the blooms are the color of 1970's panty hose).I don't mind a dusty pink bloom in September or October, but not in July or August. So if LL or Annabelle resemble anything like QF, I don't want it.

Which do you suggest? Thank you in advance.

~MH

Comments (6)

• ostrich
    14 years ago

mehearty, I am sorry to hear that you're not a fan of your Quick Fire! I love the early white blooms... but then you are right that the panty hose color blooms do look a little unattractive during late summer! LOL!

For that spot, I would choose Limelight over Annabelle, because it is more erect and the blooms last longer. They are also less floppy.

However, just like another response that I posted, do you want a hydrangea in the front yard as a focal point? It is not the most attractive thing during winter. That said, I found that the branching pattern of an unpruned Limelight to be much more attractive than Annabelle. Maybe you can do a mixture of Limelight plus some evergreens there to provide the winter interest.

• edufrin
    14 years ago

I agree with ostrich, I love my Limelight, though I would love to own an Annabelle as well. Here's a picture of the soft pink/green it turned in October after our first frost.

This was it's very first year in my garden, I'm expecting much larger blooms this year.

• roseberri, z6
    14 years ago

Hi mehearty, I have a limelight and I love it, it is tough as nails and blooms its' head off, but it doesn't bloom until July for me. does anyone else have a comment about this?

• mehearty
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you folks! I decided on Annabelle and went out early this am to find her. As gardener's luck woud have it, I found a nice sized ES on sale, so I snatched it up. I guess my mind got made up for me. lol

Ostrich, we tend to get buried in snow in the winter, so there's no winter interest lol. I plant tulips in front of my shorter hydrangeas in the front to camoflauge the hydrangea sticks in spring.

As for Limelight, I'll get one someday. It sounds so lovely. Edufrin, that pic is gorgeous!

Thanks everyone!

• ego45
    14 years ago

off topic, but since I see a complain about QF blooming too early and turning 'panty hose' color, I should say that in a right place those qualities could become very helpfull.
    For example, I have one of my QF planted in a such way that it provides background to ES and they have bloom peak at the same time. Great combo of white+blue! Later on fading QF bloom become offsetted by still blue ES and then when QF become nicely red it helps to mitigate bluh fall color of ES.
    Hey, after all beauty is in the eye of beholder, right? :-))

• mehearty
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I agree that in the right setting with the right colors, the pantyhose color has its place. In this bed, I much prefer the vibrant white because of all the plants around it. A few weeks after this pic was taken, the rose of sharon tree form bloomed double red (pink, really), and it really washes out QF. But I do love QF's lacecap looking blooms. I'll give it that. =)

{{gwi:1002364}}

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz