Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hokierustywilliamsbu

twist and shout

Any one have any experience with this new hydrangea and have any sources for Incredibal???

Comments (30)

• carolinagardendawg
    14 years ago

Put one in about a month ago, so my fingers are crossed. I'm confident it'll be a winner...it came from Mike Dirr at Plant Introductions, he's got a pretty good history with plants.

• orchidacea
    14 years ago

twist and shout - the third offering from the developer of Endless Summer and Blushing Bride..suppose to be a lacecap rebloomer...I saw it in some of my local nurseries this weekend, the bloom is so so...I am more a mophead person than a lacecap..Incrediball - try soonerplant farms, it has some earlier in the season...even that, they sell pretty small plants, a twig with good roots and a few leaves..so far the growth from these small plants been slow but temps here are a kind of cold and weather is very wet, so...I'll give the babies some more time...my sources told me incrediball is in xtreme short supply vs demand out there..but do look for more mature size plants this fall...that could be the time where the public will have better access to this new plant..the other new hydrangea with a lot of buzz is the sister of Incrediball..Invicibell..it is an annabelle hydrange BUT with a PINK color..look for a limited rollout in 2010.

• hokierustywilliamsbu
    Original Author
    14 years ago

thanks--have seen twist and shout and seems rather puny.....

• gardeningaddict
    14 years ago

I just bought three 2-gallon sized Twist 'n Shouts. I have one planted, 2 to go. The flowers are just beginning to bloom. Here's a link to their pictures: www.skiwholesalers.com/twistnshout.htm

The bloom in the first picture is 7-8" across. I think they are nice as an accent plant. The blooms are clearly not as showy as the mopheads, but the leaves are a beautiful red-tinged green.

• razorback33
    14 years ago

I recently purchased one, at 30% off, from a local nursery and just beginning to bloom. Since then, many have opened and to me, it is quite showy. The LCs are very large, much larger than any other LC that I grow.
    I am not expecting it to rebloom on new wood, as it is not an Endless Summer progeny. It is a cross between 'Penny Mac' & 'Lady in Red', neither of which have been stellar performers for me or anyone else in this area, that I know.
    'Lady in Red' does provide interesting late summer-fall color, but I consider 'Penny Mac' to be a total dud! After growing it for several years, I am about ready to rip it our of the garden and replace it with a NB. At least I could expect large, abundant flowers!
    MHO
    Rb

• gardeningaddict
    14 years ago

Yikes! It better bloom on new wood! I only buy the Hydrangeas that specify that, as the others will not bloom for me. Check out the Endless Summer site...

Here is a link that might be useful: Endless Summer Collection - Twist n' Shout

• ego45
    14 years ago

Rb, I completely agree with you assessment of Penny Mack, it'd dud and not worth the real estate it takes.
    However, being initialy very unimpressed with LiR, after having it for 5 years in a garden I learned to like it.
    Eventhough it is not blooming red, but blue in my acidic soil, spent blooms become very bright burgundy red in September and fall foliage color could rival itea's.
    Granted, to get such color it has to be in a considerable sun which bring up issue of watering, but I found happy medium (direct sun from 4:30pm till dusk) and both of us, me and a plant are very happy. For 5 years it grew from 1G plant to 6Wx5H beauty. Never skipped a year to bloom.

• hokierustywilliamsbu
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I agree with you ego--after several years she is huge and never fails to bloom-and I like the blue....

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    14 years ago

We had a shipment of 'Twist 'n Shout' in for Mother's Day. In full bloom, they were gorgeous plants with large, pinkish lacecap flowers. Since they are a pretty new introduction, it's difficult to know how well they demonstrate the rebloom/constant bloom feature of the other Endless Summer selections. Personally, if I had a garden at my disposal (currently in between gardens :-)), I'd plant one in a heartbeat, as I love lacecaps and these were stunning plants. btw, we sold out of 50 of 'em that weekend, so others found them appealing as well!

• hokierustywilliamsbu
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Gardengal I agree with you-- after I saw some large full plants and they were beautiful, infact bought a blue one. I guess size does matter....

• tripletmom04_gmail_com
    12 years ago

I am no green thumb and with moving around so much with the military have not been able to plant in several years. We're finally retired from military life and am able to plant flowers again. On Mother's Day we went to Longwood Gardens SW of Philly. It's huge and has many beautiful plants. In one of the ginormous greenhouses there was a flower I'd never seen before. It was the Twitst & Shout Hydrangea, although I didn't know the name at the time. I took many pictures of it. Each flower was perfect with the larger flowery leaves perfect and full around each center flower. I've not seen pictures online as perfectly round as they had at this garden. I fell in love with it. Just yesterday I was at Walmart looking for a tomato plant to get me back into the swing of things and I found Twist & Shout Hydrangeas! I finally found the name and had to buy one! They had pink or blue. I opted for pink. It was a large container for just $15. They all looked lovely and healthy with little root growth taking over the pot. I'm reading up on how to care for it. I'm very excited to see how this will do as I've never seen such a bloom before. I'm sure mine won't be as perfect with blooms as I don't have pros tending to it. Very excited! There's already some green "buds" quite large ready to bloom soon!

• hokierustywilliamsbu
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I saw one at Walmart-it has grown on me overtime.....

• ditas
    12 years ago

Twist & Shout was in my wish list & had a hole prep'd for her since last season ~ on Mom's Day I received 3 of them! I would have been overjoyed with 1. T&S1 was easy but to think of 2 other part sun sites became a problem as all the sites left were full/sun ~ #2 ended up perhaps the most ideal site, as I relocated 2 perennials to open a spot & #3 had to go in an iffy, tight-squeeze of a spot ~ but will do for a while. I may have to relocate 16 Candles/Clethra later.

They are all doing well & the buds have blossomed ~ altho quite interesting to note how each ended up w/ the different personalities due to sun exposure.

Glad that tripletmom04 brought this thread back up ~ here are my triple beauties. (please clic on pix for a closer look).

Here is a link that might be useful: 3 T & S

• oliveoyl3
    12 years ago

Hubby bought me one for my August birthday that we planted out this spring, so it spent the winter it it's pot. Buds everywhere with one opening.

Elsewhere in my PNW gardens Hydrangeas died back to the ground & are resprouting very slowly as we've had a cold wet spring with few days above 70 degrees.

A H. macro lacecap in a huge pot >24" surrounded by corydalis lutea as filler & vinca minor as trailer is ahead of the inground Hydrangeas we have other than Twist & Shout.

Others I've seen around my area appear similar with some sprouting up from the ground and some not at all. We had a sudden snap of unusual cold weather in November while Hydrangeas were still blooming then. Our winter was wetter than normal with a few extreme cold snaps for our area with 13 degree lows.

I'm pleased that Twist & Shout appears to have faired well even though spent the winter in the pot.

• juliebw
    11 years ago

I bought mine for 5 dollars at WalMart last year, a little dry and wilted but still alive. I,m hoping for some blooms on this year's wood, but there was a lot of damage on all my hydrangeas from the March warmth followed by 22 degree freeze in April. Now they are predicting up to 8 inches of snow tomorrow. That is pretty rough on plants.

• hokierustywilliamsbu
    Original Author
    11 years ago

after a few years as LIR this hydrangea is starting to shine-has much of Lady in Red color

• echinaceamaniac
    11 years ago

This is the best Hydrangea I've ever grown. It blooms even before I have a chance to remove the dried blooms. I've never seen a Hydrangea rebloom so much.

• hydrangeasnohio
    11 years ago

It is a great Lacecap. VERY fast growing & cuttings will root/grow so fast it will blow your mind. I have grown many from cuttings and this one wins by a long shot. I have many rebloomers from all the major brands. The Blushing Bride and Twist n shout are the first to bloom in my yard by weeks over the others. Like people on here have mentioned already it reblooms great also. A+++ in my book and cant think of a single negative thing to say about it.

• Mari_88
    11 years ago

Could someone please list the reblooming hydrangeas? The rebloomers bloom on new wood right? I love my Endless Summer and I am looking to add more hydrangea cultivators. I think the rebloomers would be better for me because Im not sure I could convince flower buds to make it through the winter..seems pretty overwhelming! Thanks everyone!

• hydrangeasnohio
    11 years ago

Google - Endless Summer Collection, Forever & Ever Series & Proven Winner's Let' Dance Series. I have most of these. Only one that gives me bad problems is the Red Sensation from the FE Series.

• Hydrangea729
    11 years ago

'T&S' might be my very best hydrangea. I grow 34 hydrangeas so that statement has some merit. The thing is an absolute powerhouse in terms of bloom production (late May until the first frost). It is, in essence, the Knock Out rose of hydrangeas (and I say this from experience of growing the majority of the "reblooming" hydrangea cultivars). Performs admirably in full sun, is definitely quite disease resistant, and changes COLORS easily!

I will be adding several more to my gardens this season--and looking forward to it!

• Hydrangea729
    11 years ago

FYI, it's "cultivar" not "cultivator"....same hobby, totally different thing.

• gw:Mari_88;iv_tkt=nfnfikgojjicgdajb
    11 years ago

I didnt even realize it said cultivator instead of cultilvar. The spell check on my phone doesnt recognize cultivar and changes it every time! I think Twist and Shout will be my next addition, thanks for the info!

• ditas
    11 years ago

WOW! Some of you are already enjoying your T&S blooms ~ am just in my first *full of buds* exciting time after setting them in their permanent sites/homes by Jun 2011. I'm getting quite excited to see how their blooms would match up to expectations after reading all your comments!!!

For this year's Ma's day my dau sent me a huge pot of *Let's Dance* full of blooms & buds ~ have a tentative site I'm still studying the sun exposure. Am really running out of prime real estate for these beauties ~ sigh!

• tatto40
    8 years ago

I planted a T&S about 3 years ago. It bloomed great the first year,, but...has not bloomed since! Gets morning sun & afternoon shade. Any suggestions? We have about 14 other hydrangeas and they all r doing great. Even the new ones we planted his year are already blooming. Frustrated when TS doesn't bloom and the one beside it does.

• October_Gardens
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Cover the crown of the plant with 4+" of mulch or loose soil during the winter. This goes for all in the ES series. They all seem prone to "crown shock"

• starlight99
    8 years ago

My TnS died back completely this year....all new stems from the crown....and I only see one brocolli at the end of one stem!

Where as my Original has close to 20 buds!

• October_Gardens
    8 years ago

Same here with one of 2 TnS. But the one where the crown was well-covered has 20 buds.

• linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I planted 2 last summer. Both sprouted from underground this
    year…no leaf buds from old stems at all. They are so much smaller than last
    year.

I didn’t know the crowns needed to be covered. I thought
    that would rot out most plants. Does this mean I won’t have flowers?

• October_Gardens
    8 years ago

Zero harm in covering up the crown. If it's been set back it *might* get flowers late in the season. My one got set back two years in a row. Last year it didn't begin to flower until Halloween, and by then it was already going back into dormancy.