Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best for hedge in full sun zone 6a

Posted by bried621 none (My Page) on
Tue, May 27, 14 at 19:33

Hi,
Which hydrangea is best for a 50 foot long hedge in full sun? Also this will be visible from the road at the end of the driveway adjacent to the house. Think it will look ok in winter? They will be planted in front of a chainlink fence. Oh I am in NJ. New to gardening but adore hydrangeas.
Thanks!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best for hedge in full sun zone 6a

Few better than H. paniculata 'Limelight' for a full sun hedge. These bloom in July if you don't prune too late. You can keep the dead blooms on all winter if you like (Google image search that).

Use the following link for a walkthrough and other useful information.

Here is a link that might be useful: Limelight Hedge information

o

Thank you! I was thinking limelight. I do like the mophead varieties but for a beautiful hedge I would go for the limelight.

o

What about incrediball?

o

If Limelight is a no go then I'd use any of the paniculatas, or better yet use them all and mix them up. That way if/when one dies and needs to be replaced it won't stick out like a sore thumb. And eventually you will lose one.

o

I love Limelight and have many in my yard. Would't be without it! And I think the dried blooms look great in the winter.

Quick Fire is another to consider if you'd like something that blooms sooner. Bees and butterflies love it too.

I also really like Incrediball, although none of mine is in sun all day. It would be a little fussier about having enough water than Limelight or Quick Fire, I think.

o

I've seen one that was a mixture of Limelight, Quickfire and Vanilla Strawberry. Very nice.

o

Oh I like that idea of mixing Quickfire and Limelight so you have flowers for longer. How would you alternate?
Also, about when (what month each year) do they come in and when do they flower? Just wondering how many months I would have privacy from the neighbors!
Thanks!

o

I believe they both bloom midsummer to fall.

Kate

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here