Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
natsu_gw

Hydrangea Trophy vs Color Fantasy

Natsu
11 years ago

This week while shopping at the local big box stores I found a few new to me hydrangea. Trophy is at a local Kmart and Color fantasy at my local Busy Beaver. Both plants seem to be doing the same thing. Both are old wood bloomers with deep pink flowers that would color up purple well.

These seem like good pot plants since I can't find Paris anywhere in the stores. Funny thing was plant tags said they would stay small around two feet each both were at least three in the containers at the store. Anyone have these plants share some info are they bud hardy?

Comments (6)

• October_Gardens
    11 years ago

Which Busy Beaver was this? I haven't seen any around my area anymore - they all seemed to have closed. I've checked several Kmarts and all they've all had in larger sizes is Blue Wave.

Haven't seen any Cityline hydrangeas around anywhere, except Michael Bros in Russelton, that have Venice, very similar to Paris. My Venice has florets on stems that came from just above the crown.

I picked up a 'Trophy' at Lowe's - they are heavily stocked but selling quickly because they're healthy 3-gals for $20. Seems like all the buds *near* the ends of the canes produce their own flowers. The plant is already 3 feet tall and should grow another foot. Also, the hydrangea is NOT really 'Trophy' but 'Trophee', as Trophy is a white lacecap.

I haven't seen any Color Fantasy around that were any good looking; they were Novalis "Plants that Work" and cut down to near the crown; so I couldn't imagine getting many blooms from that.

• Natsu
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The color fantasy is at Busy Beaver in Century three behind the Burlington Coat Factory. They had two very healthy plants about to bloom. There is Another Busy beaver on Route 88 not sure of their inventory. The leaves are leathery dark green not sure if this will burn up in high light conditions. Old wood macS don't bloom for me I have glowing embers three years not a single flower.

This year seems to be short on reblooming selection can't find any new releases. So far I have seen Trophee,Woodlanders,White Out,Merrit Supreme,Beni Gaku,Color Fantasy, Blue Wave,Ouickfire and the normal stuff ES.Now that mothers day has past should be getting close to the big box stores summer shrub shipment's noticed on a few other posts you have seen PEACE could you tell me which lowes?

• October_Gardens
    11 years ago

As of a few days ago, Peace was at Monroeville Lowe's (still no elusive Pistachios!). I've stopped into different locations as I've passed them by and they all seem to have slightly different stock in both 1 and 2.25 gals. The larger would be nice but Peace are currently in small pots. Pick carefully for the best stem count/structure and new shoots or you might not get your 16 bucks worth.

So how are Busy Beaver's prices looking? I'm sure they're better than some nurseries out there..

• Natsu
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Busy Beaver only carries three hydrangea total odd right. The price is $15.88 for the two gallon I beleive.They carry Blushing Bride, Lemon daddy and Color Fantasy. As of this past Friday they were still there healthy. They have a chart right on the wall, while strange it was also extremely helpful. This season I have checked four different Lowes Wal-Mart and depot. No Pistachio, White King or Fantasia honestly none of the Ball hort plants. The pot sizes are small and forced for the mother's day crowd in most stores. Summer should be better but not by much. Suddenly have an interest in Mini Penny have walked past it at least twenty times in the last few years at Home Depot. Now that I want one,none of the Gardeners Confidence Plants are for sale.

• Natsu
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Stopped at Trax farms picked up Fantasia here is what they have. Incrediball,Bella Anna,Invincible Sprit,Penny Mac,ES,Blushing Bride,Little Lime,Fire and Ice,Sweet Summer,Expression,White Out,Berlin,Blue Cassel,Moonlight, Starlight,Bombshell,Venice,Blue Heaven,Twist n Shout,White out,Fantasia,Limelight,Quick fire and fe original.

Something is off about Expression, the leaves are thin not broad like a regular mac.Plant looks as it will wilt at even the hint of sun.

• October_Gardens
    11 years ago

Several places have had Expression from 'Blew Label' plants. If I got one it would be from Reilly's up north - theirs are in the sun and looked okay.

My Fantasia from Trax last summer seems to have died back to the ground, so we will if any blooms really come from the crown..