Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone growing Sadie Ray or Little Lamb?

Posted by alisande Zone 4b (My Page) on
Sun, May 31, 09 at 20:05

I just ordered three hydrangea from the Bluestone sale: an oakleaf, macrophylla Sadie Ray, and paniculata Little Lamb. I've seen pics of oakleaves on the forums (and read raves), but I don't recall any mention of the other two. I'm wondering what I should do for them and I can expect from them.

Unfortunately, the GardenWeb search function is pretty useless these days.

Thanks!

Susan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone growing Sadie Ray or Little Lamb?

I have a small Sadie Ray. It made it through the winter, thankfully. It is planted on the north side of the house and gets some morning sun and then a little afternoon as well. I planted a second (from Bluestone) one of the east side that will get much more sun. Not sure how it will do there, I'll move it next year if it's unhappy in August. I have a pretty large Little Lamb from a garden center. It came with almost no roots so took quite awhile to settle in, but it lost almost nothing over the winter. That is planted on the north side also, but gets more sun than the Sadie Ray location.

o

Both of my Sadie Rays made it thru the winter--but only one is blooming...

o

Susan,

I have had a Sadie Ray for about 3, maybe 4 years. It has outperformed just about everything else that I have, including Endless Summer. It always blooms and has beautiful green leaves. It is a very good grower as well. I could divide it and easily get 5 plants, which I will do probably this year. You will love this one.

Carol

o

Thanks so much for the input, everyone. I'm glad I asked! I'm really looking forward to adding these to my garden.

o

I've got Little Lamb and love it. The link below shows how it looked the first year I planted it. And if you go farther in the album, you'll see how it matures and becomes a delightful show. I keep it small by pruning. I think this is year 3 and it's leaping. Wants to grow and grow. I adore the white blooms drooping to the ground so that it really does look like little lambs resting in my garden, but that's really not its habit. It's grown quite a bit wider since I've planted so that this year that singe plant is at least 5 feet, if not 6 feet wide. I think you'll like this one.

Here is a link that might be useful: Little Lamb

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here