Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
october_gardens

Pistachio's first day in-ground!

October_Gardens
10 years ago

Here's a picture of my freshly-planted H. mac. 'Schloss Wackerbarth' a.k.a. 'Horwack' a.k.a. 'Pistachio'

It's supposed to have a low-spreading profile, and the potted specimen was already beginning to follow suit. Aside from the lateral growth at the base, the majority of it is tightly-clustered upright spires (hence being named after a castle, I suppose!). It does not grow thick stems but the stems are very rigid and sturdy. The leaves are also thick, small, and cupped, with a red tinge around the edges. There are a bunch of buds on this, but it's a bit too early to report anything on blooms. But I will continue to post back with its progression into the Summer.

For comparison, on the left in the picture is its other new neighbor 'Hortmahar' (opening cream-colored), with arborescens 'Annabelle' behind and 'Blue Cassel' to the right.

This Winter I'm simply going to throw some leaves on it and see how it does. Most everything on this north-facing hillside garden dies back quite a bit, so I'd be surprised if that isn't repeated here.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!