Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pistachio's first day in-ground!

Posted by Springwood_Gardens 6B Pittsburgh (My Page) on
Fri, May 24, 13 at 20:10

Here's a picture of my freshly-planted H. mac. 'Schloss Wackerbarth' a.k.a. 'Horwack' a.k.a. 'Pistachio'

It's supposed to have a low-spreading profile, and the potted specimen was already beginning to follow suit. Aside from the lateral growth at the base, the majority of it is tightly-clustered upright spires (hence being named after a castle, I suppose!). It does not grow thick stems but the stems are very rigid and sturdy. The leaves are also thick, small, and cupped, with a red tinge around the edges. There are a bunch of buds on this, but it's a bit too early to report anything on blooms. But I will continue to post back with its progression into the Summer.

For comparison, on the left in the picture is its other new neighbor 'Hortmahar' (opening cream-colored), with arborescens 'Annabelle' behind and 'Blue Cassel' to the right.

This Winter I'm simply going to throw some leaves on it and see how it does. Most everything on this north-facing hillside garden dies back quite a bit, so I'd be surprised if that isn't repeated here.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pistachio's first day in-ground!

I want one of those so much! I can't wait to see the flowers on it. My 'Together Forever' is getting ready to bloom. It's from the same people. The foliage on these is so healthy.

o
My Pistachio Hydrangea in Oregon

I have this hydrangea and it is in bloom with lot's of blooms on it. It is still in a pot since I don't know where to plant it as yet. The buds are turning red and it is beautiful. Hope you can see the picture?

o

Wow, that color really reminds me of the nut of the same name.

o

Check it out! Old wood blooms below, new wood buds appearing up atop new stems. F&E should just scrap the Red program; it's a loser compared to this.

My phone's camera may have made the blooms appear magenta, but they are fire-engine red, with the fluorescence of red knockout roses!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here