Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Any updates on Light-O-Day?

Posted by ditas z5a-5 IA (My Page) on
Thu, May 8, 08 at 20:26

Hi Lacecap H lovers - I was at Lowe's for some flats of annuals when I spotted a cart of new arrival Hs. Amongst the oodles of budded pots of ES & F&E were these stunning, variegated clumps of leaves(no blooms nor buds). Needless to say I had to read the tag - indeed a Hydrangea (but no mention of being a lacecap)! Z4 hardy, Hurray!!!

I just now checked this forum and found only 1 old thread from 2005 ... I wonder how, after 3 seasons, this cultivar performed & rated by owners?

I got Lowe's assurance that I'll get full refund if not satisfied ... a pretty good deal I thought!

TIA
D

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Any updates on Light-O-Day?

A friend of mine has one of these in zone 6. She loves hers but don't expect a lot from the blooms. She respects the plant for it's varigated color and the "little" show of bloom she considers a plus. I guess it depends on how much garden space one has as to their choices of which hydrangea to have or not have. Good luck with your new baby.

o

• Posted by ditas z5a-5 IA (My Page) on
    Fri, May 16, 08 at 11:19

Hi Stillwelljill - Thanks for responding, I was hoping for a few more to hop on, to see how their's are doing.

I kept the pot that I brought home in the hole, I prepared last season for a Lacecap, while I observed & studied how she looks in the spot between Blushing Bride(slightly sunnier spot) & Midnight Dutchess (bright/shade spot). Light-O-Day looks stunning right where she is, so in the ground she was set in, just yesterday! I don't think I'll be sorry ... just hope I can get her to bloom this season, yet!

Thanks again!
D

o

• Posted by ditas z5a IA (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 23, 08 at 21:37

LOD ... the only one left w/o a single hint of flower buds forming ... continuous to grow beautifully tho - perhaps another 6" & no solid green leaf at all. Compared to Mariesii Var. LOD has more impressive foliage-marbling, some even have more creamy whites than green.

Mariesii Var.'s blossom does not cut the lacecap standards, IMHO ... the last blossom to flash has only 3 petalled florets ... she has grown a few more inches tho, not as tightly as LOD ... could be sun exposure, the lack of.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here