Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
melaroma

How tall does ES get?

melaroma
13 years ago

How tall does ES get and how fast does it grow? I am wondering if I need to move mine to a different spot and use something else as the back bone.

Comments (4)

• ladywindsurfer
    13 years ago

I have 2, both plant*d in the fall of 2004, one was from a 3gal. container, the other from a one gal. They are now about the same size, about 4ft. tall & wide. Growth to that size was fairly rapidly, attaining that height in about 2+ years.

The larger one was plant*d in unamended red clay soile, at the NW corner of the property and receives afternoon sun from about 2PM. until dusk. The first year. I irrigated it weekly with a soaker hose and saw one flow*r. It now produces between 150-200 flow*rs per year. I have never experienced a leaf-scorch or severe wilting problem with it. The second one is located in an amended bed, in full summer shade and produces only 25-30 somewhat larger flow*rs each year.

Winter dieback on ES, in my Zone, is almost nil, whereas on most other macs and the serratas, it varies from mild to severe.

• ostrich
    13 years ago

Mine are even as big as 5+ feet tall and wide! Very nice indeed.

• melaroma
    Original Author
    13 years ago

So is this the size they get even if they die all the way back? Thanks.

• ego45
    13 years ago

Size also will depends on a sun exposure. I have some n almost full sun and they stays around 4.5', but in a shady location they are approaching 6'.

Sponsored
Trish Takacs Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars36 Reviews
Award Winning & Highly Skilled Kitchen & Bath Designer in Columbus