Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ditas_gw

Anyone has Blue Frost Serrata?

ditas
15 years ago

Hi Lacecap Lovers -

Would very much appreciate comments on this 'Korean Dwarf' from Hines ... from your experience. I went to their site but no more info than what's on the plant tag.

TIA!

Comments (17)

• georgia-rose
    15 years ago

Hi MD! Doesn't sound too dwarfish to me, as they describe the mature size as 4'x 4'. That's about the ultimate height of most serratas that I know. How they limit the width to 4' is somewhat of a mystery, as they have a propensity to develop a middle age spread.
    The Korean cultivar, 'Woodlanders', has developed into a territorial gangster in my garden, engulfing everything in it's path, as it spreads ever wider.
    The serrata, named 'Blue Frost', is apparently a Hines Horticulture introduction and the original material(seed,cuttings) were probably collected in Korea by Barry Yinger, their New Product Resources Manager. He once was employed there, where he developed a private estate Botanical Garden/Arboretum on one of the offshore islands.
    He makes frequent trips to Japan, Korea and other SE Asian countries in search of new plant material/cultivars for introduction into the US market by Hines.
    As to cultivation issues, it is very likely no different than the myriad of other serrata cultivars that are available from time to time.
    It would be nice to have a dwarf serrata, as a companion to 'Little Geisha', one serrata mophead that I keep severely potbound for a potted plant near the front entrance. Will keep an eye out for EOS sales at Lowes, the local Hines retailer and maybe find one or two.:-)

• ditas
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you so much, GR, for all the info - I hope she won't disappoint. after this 1st season of blooms ... couldn't resist taking this beauty, with several buds, home when I picked up my held Annabelle.

This reputable nursery, I go to for many years, tells me that they are careful not to bring in more Serratas, for the obvious reason of our zone. They claim that altho many are said to be root hardy, blooms may not always be reliable or at best scanty without good ' Winter-climate-control'. Since the claim to BF s by Hines is - hardier than others & of being a dwarf, they thought are ++.

I've been successful with my 3 'Big Smile' & MyM, so far - all are sporting lots of broccoli clusters - MyM slowed her production after her recent moved to a better site in mid-May ... seems to have adjusted now!

I'm going to go ahead and sink her in a prep'd foundation bed, intended for
    a blue lacecap with hopes that she does well there.

Many thanks again! :-)

MD

• momplus1
    15 years ago

Ditas, was wondering the name/location of the nursery you go to. It seems you're able to find unique hydrangeas. Alhtough I couldn't find info on the Hines website, from what you've said, I'd love to have a blue frost. I'll be traveling to DSM this summer and if not to far out of the way, it may be worth a trip.

Thanks!!

• ditas
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Mp1 - So sorry for not responding sooner.

One of the oldest, small, family owned & run, plant nurseries around here is Des Moines Seed & Nursery Co. at 6015 Grand Ave Ph # 515-274-2586. You might want to call as they only brought in a few of the BF Lace-cap.

I meant to call over there today, to inform that the blossom - just opened today is kind of pinkish - not sure if it is going to turn blue when blossoms mature ... a typical color-change behavior of many Hs.

Wow, wouldn't it be nice if while in DSM, you could stop & see my small collection & exchange ideas?!!! <:->Ditas

• ostrich
    15 years ago

Ditas, I would LOVE to have a blue lacecap myself, so I am very much looking forward to seeing some photos! OK, I know you explained about this one before... no pressure! :-)

• momplus1
    15 years ago

Ditas,

Thanks so much for the info. I'll call DSM Seed today. I really appreciate the invite to see your "collection", which I would LOVE to do. I'll be in DSM in August (for the Fair!!).

BTW, do you have a link for Blue Frost, I couldn't find any info. Thanks!

• ditas
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi MP1 -
    The only info I have on this BF H.s. is what was given on the plant tag from Hines - printed at the bottom: "for more information about this plant, visit www,hineshort.com" I did, but didn't get more than what was on the tag.

Two blossoms have now opened - definitely (typical-young) pink! I'll make sure to call tomorrow - 'want to wait a while to see if she'll gradually change to the promised 'deep-blue' but thought I should call to inform them of the bloom color, at this stage.

How wonderful ... you're coming to our Fair! We definitely should meet!!! :->

Ostrich - I'll let you know what the nursery says about this newly opened 'PINK' blossoms of Blue Frost H.s. before looking for one, OK?

• prairiegirlz5
    15 years ago

Isn't the pink or blue flower color a function of pH? ie lower pH (more acidic soil) leading to blue flowers, with pink flowers occurring on higher pH (more alkaline) soils? If that is the case, you could add sulfur to gradually lower the soil pH, but of course must know what the pH is (soil test) beforehand.

• prairiegirlz5
    15 years ago

I forgot to add this link, which I am using to try to correct iron chlorosis in my inkberry hollies. Hope it helps!

I am looking for a small hydrangea that is winter hardy. I would love blue blossoms, but I realize that may be hard to achieve (impossible? or surely impractical) as I live on a huge bed of limestone.

Here is a link that might be useful: Changing the pH

• ditas
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I thought to bring this thread back up as Blue Frost is one of my most productive bloom cluster Serrata this season ... even surpassed 3 Big Smiles (my most prolific bloomers). It is his 2nd season - barely 1.5' tall - I stopped counting clusters at 52 & that's just half of the 3'x2.5' shrub (he is crowded on each side by huge Hostas that I just trimmed to allow more room for BF).

I was disappointed last season as blossoms were not blue - I have been giving coffee drinks as well as grounds since early Spring & so far a dose of A.S. - the largest cluster is still greenish pink ... jury is still out on eventual color. The best I got last season was lavender.

My BF is planted in a foundation strip - I think it must be from you, prairiegirl I learned that Hs planted close to cement foundations will have alkaline sippage from cement & may have a difficult time converting to blue even with A.S. applications ... as you posted above:

"I would love blue blossoms, but I realize that may be hard to achieve (impossible? or surely impractical) as I live on a huge bed of limestone."

BF was planted for my hubby (Pop's Day '08) he didn't care that blooms were pink - he is 'tickled pink' Â;) that his plant is full of cluster buds!

Pairiegirl, I hope you found what you were looking for!

Momplus1 I thought of you when I saw a ton of 2.8 gal pots of BF at our Hy-Vee plant nursery just a few weeks ago. 'Wonder if you got one last season?

Happy season outdoors! Â;)

• momplus1
    14 years ago

Ditas,

Nice to hear from you again. I'd love to see a picture of your BF. No I didn't get one last year. Do you remember which Hy-Vee you saw them at. My sister lives near Urbandale and I could probably convince her to pick one up for me. The only snafu is whether she'd kill it before I headed to DSM in August!? :)))

I have had limited luck changing some of my H. to blue. Blue Billow and Blue Deckle seem to change to blue pretty easily, but Niko and Lady in Red, forget it. I have an unknown type (mophead, but double florets) that ends up a very pretty lavendar/purple.

This year, I've been following advice from here (Hayseedman, I think) 2 tbls a.s. per gallon of water every 1-2 weeks. 1 ES is a deep blue and enziandom is a dark lavendar. Blue Billow and Blue Deckle seem to be darker this year too (I could be imagining it?). Lady in Red, Niko, Fasan and Bliss haven't opened yet, so I'm crossing my fingers.

• ditas
    Original Author
    14 years ago

So good to see your response post, Momplus1! It was actually at the NW 86th Hy-Vee in Urbandale, where I saw them. We picked up several H paniculatas for both my dau & dil both are beginners & I thought H paniculatas would be easy to grow in their full/sun yards. Hy-Vee had so many pots of Lime Light, QF, Unique, Annabelle, Alice, Blue Frost etc.

The Nursery Mgr promised to try & bring in Blue Billow next season!

We've been having so much rain this Spring I couldn't apply A.S. as recommended. Since all my beauties are a bit late flashing, I may still be able to catch up. I wouldn't mind multi-pastel blossoms, as I had last season!

Wow, 'deep blue'! How may applications were you able to apply to get that blue?

I'll call Hy-Vee tomorrow & ask if there are any BF left. I'll have them hold 1, OK (they may be on end-season-sale by now)?

• ditas
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Momplus1 - Hy-Vee in Urbandale has 3 or 4 'Summer Frost' but out of BF - the associate said it would be a lighter blue likely as they are a variety of BF ... sorry not on sale yet ($24.99). I'm tempted to get 1 & plant him away from foundation where I can successfully blueify. But must read about this variety first.

As tempted as I am ... shying away from marginally tender bloomers that require thick Winter coats & cages, I have 12 as it is that keep me hopping in the Fall!

• momplus1
    14 years ago

Ditas,

So nice of you to call Hy-vee to check the stock. Very thoughtful, thank you. I think I'll wait for BF, since SF is a light blue, I'm guessing it would be similar to Blue Deckle.

I'm thinking I did 3-4 applications of AS between May 1 and June 15. I should write it down, but don't, maybe next year.

What paniculata's did your D and DIL get? They are my current quest, although I have a hard time passing up the mac's and serratas. Like you, I have to many that need winter protection.

I'm guessing you live near the 86th Hy-Vee. Small world, I shopped there many times (and Fareway) when I lived on 94th place, just off Meredith. We moved almost 12 years ago, but still keep in touch with friends there and of course my sister.

I'd really enjoy seeing your garden when I'm out in August, if the invite is still open. If it doesn't work, we can always try for next year.

• ditas
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Mom+1 - What an awful end of Spring & start of Summer we've been having - too many cloudy/rainy/stormy as well as boggy/steamy sunny days ... couldn't apply AS to produce even lavender from ES!!! Â:(

Would love a visit from you any time you're in the area - particularly when H's can show off their allure!

My D & DIL are newbie garden diggers so I suggested Iowa-Winter reliables (paniculatas) for lasting blooms & other perennials that will reliably bloom (nothing too exotic nor too fuzzy for now) just to whet their budding interests in dirt digging!!! Â;)

• pointgarden
    9 years ago

I got a BF 5 years ago and have had good luck with it even after last winter when most of my hydrangeas were hit hard. 4' tall by 4' wide and covered with small cobalt blue lace caps. I got this one while working in a small garden center and have never seen it again,

• hokierustywilliamsbu
    9 years ago

Have never seen it anywhere. Sounds nice however.