Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tall, lanky, ugly shaped hydrangeas

Posted by joannemb 6 (My Page) on
Sat, May 5, 12 at 21:16

I bought 2 very young double white hydrangeas (a lace-cap double variety called Wedding Gown) last year. They didn't bloom last year (not a surprise) but this year they look so lanky and strangely shaped. They have long wavy canes that are bare up until the ends where there are some leaves. There are leaves at the bottom, top, but not in between. So unsightly. I REALLY want to see what this hydrangea looks like, and wouldn't you know there are buds on the top now. After the plant blooms (I just want to see what they look like) I'd like to prune it down.... Will pruning it say 6 inches from the ground encourage a more regular rounded shape? Thanks for any insight!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tall, lanky, ugly shaped hydrangeas

I would try to maximize the amt of leaves left on the shrub. If a size of 6" will do it then try it out. This is a rebloomer so you may get blooms later on after pruning (but possibly closer to the Fall).

o
RE: Tall, lanky, ugly shaped hydrangeas

If you like the current height of the plant and want big blooms from those terminal buds then do NOT prune. The middles of the stems usually take longer to leaf out then the ends or the base. Also, that base growth will be new canes that will fill the space between existing ones. You have a healthy plant. If July rolls around and the plant still looks like this, I'd consider a problem with the soil or light conditions.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here