Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hydrangeasnohio

Does anyone near my zone have a FE Double Pink Hydrangea???

hydrangeasnohio
13 years ago

I bought my Double Pink late summer or so of 2008. It put off a few flowers in 2008 and no flowers in 2009. Although it grew great lush green foilage and atleast tripled in size. So far no buds this year either. I know it is a little early for my zone but all my other rebloomers are showing buds. Was just wondering what other people's experience has been with this specific Hydrangea???

Comments (9)

• ostrich
    13 years ago

hydrangeasnohio, I have one in a pot. It's got a few buds already. It's my second season with this beauty. It didn't have too many buds in the pot either, but the blooms were spectacular. I think that it's going to do better this year...

• luis_pr
    13 years ago

One I saw blooming at Lowe's last season did look nice. I hope both of you get lots of blooms!

• hydrangeasnohio
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ostrich I take you to your Double Pink into the garage over the winter? I piled some mulch over half of mine to try to help it out. It was the only rebloomer I did that to since it had a bad year in 2009. I was hoping to give it some extra help!

• hokierustywilliamsbu
    13 years ago

have one in a pot--does great here in Va with no protection...

• ostrich
    13 years ago

hydrangeasnohio, I did overwinter the potted FE Double Pink in the garage. It looked pretty sad over winter, but now it is really waking up! After all this rain and warm temperature, this morning, I noticed that there were quite a few buds!!! YAY! I suspect that it's one of these hydrangeas that are really borderline for our zone here.... I think that if you mulch it, it will protect the roots which always do well anyway, BUT to prevent die back of the old stems, you probably would need to wrap it in burlap or something like that to protect those old stems.... I hope that yours will be back with lots of blooms this season!

• hydrangeasnohio
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I did cover over half of the stems with mulch. I piled alot on!!!LOL!!! Had to really dig it out and plus it is in a protected area of the yard. Also had basically no die back. Oh well, I just have to be patient! I just gave me enough in 2008 to make me want more. It has a very unique flower. I got it off the discount rack and recovered great that year and gave me a few flowers. This year it is already almost full grown according to the FE website. My ES are covered this year after a couple years of basically only growing. So maybe that is the path the Double Pink is taking.

• blueeskimo
    13 years ago

I have had FE Pink and Double Pink since they're first on the market in 2006 (all on the ground). Double Pink had never bloomed (maybe half bloom over the years). Pink has one flower each year. All have health non-wilting foliage. I thought they just needed the time to establish...

Until I planted FE Together (a double variety) in 2008. What the surprise I got in the summer 2009 (see the photo from the link below). And now anther winter later they're loaded with flower buds again...
    So, FE Pink and Double Pink are just like Nikko Blue in my region(z4-5a). In other words, all leaves no flowers.

I've also tried the FE Red since 2007. Have mixed feelings about it. It's not a complete dud as the Pink and Double Pink. It does flower each year, but a much weaker grower. Has dwarf statue, fewer flowers than Together and flower weeks later than it, too. But the bottom line is it does bloom on the NEW wood. The same can be said with FE Peppermint. But these two need a couple more years to have better opinions.

BTW, I don't do much winter protection with any of my hydrangeas. So they're all dead back almost to the ground. Endless Summer (and âÂÂBlushing BrideâÂÂ) do well here, too. The new 'Twist-n-Shout' are loaded with buds after the first winter on the ground.

Here is a link that might be useful: My FE Together after frist winter

• hydrangeasnohio
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Blueeskimo you experience sounds almost exactly the same as mine. My two Blushing Brides are the first Hydrangea to bloom in my yard every year and go steady into Fall. The TwistnShout seems like it will be right behind it showing good buds. But I have had mixed emotions about the original ES, but my ES look great this year!!

The FE Red is a very weak grower for me also. No buds yet on them either this year. My only two rebloomers this year not showing buds. Although the Red did have a couple blooms last year. The Blue Heaven does Great and lives up to the hipe. Only negative is that it hates any kind of direct sunlight close to 11am. I had to relocate one of mine that received full sun till noon. The Together is my Favorite and just like the Blue Heavens are filled with flowers every year. The Together can handle alot of sun. I have 3 Togethers and experimented with one that got about 6 hours of sun in late afternoon and does great! I also have two family members that have the Together which do great for them and they also love them! Last I have a Peppermint also and it always has one flush of great flowers but never reblooms again the rest of the summer, but I still love it!

• blueeskimo
    13 years ago

hydrangeasnohio,
    I concur with your FE 'Blue Heaven' comment. Mine survived the first winter and is now loaded with buds. FE 'White Out' looks like a winner as well.
    FE 'Red' has most intense color of all macrophylla hydrangeas I've tried (without any soil adjustment). It does improve over the years, but does so every so slowly...

Here is a link that might be useful: My FE Red, Planted in 2007, photo taken in 2009