Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dublinbay

Can't find FE Together

dublinbay z6 (KS)
11 years ago

I waited eagerly for 6 months to get the Forever and Ever Together hydrangea from Lowes this spring--only to be informed that they don't carry it. That was the word from the Lowes in the next town over (30 miles away--no Lowes in my town). So I had my daughter in Kansas City call their Lowes. Same answer--they don't carry it.

Notice: neither place said they had had it but it was sold out. They both just said they don't carry it. In fact, the Lowes I called didn't seem to even recognize the name--but was eager to sell me Blue Heaven. They both said they were not likely to get any in in the future, though we were certainly free to inquire later if we so desired.

So what do I do now? If Together is not sold in any of the Lowes in middle America (Kansas is center of U.S.!), then where on earth can I possibly get one?

Anyone have any ideas?

Kate

Comments (11)

• luis_pr
    11 years ago

You may have to switch to medium and small sized nurseries. Go to the link below to locate nearby nurseries that carry the F&E Plants and contact them. Enter your zip code, increase the number of miles from 5 to the max and click on SEARCH. Then go shopping! Some names that I saw: Angelo's Nursery; Larry's Nursery; Heartland Nursery

Here is a link that might be useful: Where to buy F&E

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I wish it were that simple, luis. Using my zipcode, I tried 5 miles up to 25 miles: NO LISTINGS. Then in the 50 miles to 250 miles, I got a half dozen Lowes only listed--and they are all in Missouri except one in Oklahoma.

Guess I'll have to get on the phone and inquire. I'd hate to drive to a town 50 miles away and discover they don't carry Together either. (I already know that the closest one in that list does not.)

Sounds like I may not be getting Together after dreaming over it for so long. : (

Kate

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hurray, persistance pays off!

I phoned 5 different Lowes stores in Missouri (I'm in Kansas), and none of them had Together or had ever heard of it.

Then I phoned the Lowe's in Grove, Oklahoma--100 miles from here. They have 2 Togethers--one of which is now mine, thanks to the plastic card. And it will be mine physically when I pick it up on Saturday. Nice days drive in lovely weather. I shall listen to my audiotape of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice on the way--2 hours there and 2 hours back. Sounds like a pleasant excursion to me.

What we gardeners won't do to get the exact plant we have been planning on and dreaming about, huh? LOL

Thanks for reminding me about FE's locator search, Luis. Between that and 6 phonecalls, I got the hydrangea I wanted.

Will post pictures later when it blooms.

Kate

• October_Gardens
    11 years ago

Wow, now that's dedication to hydrangeas! There are 5 Lowes within 20 miles of me and they've all carried Together, but I passed because they were too physically small for $16.98.

This year, I'm going to check out Wayside Garden Center in Macedon, NY - which is 5 hours from my home but I can stop there while visiting Erie. They specialize in over 200 cultivars, and especially ones that do well in the north. They also claim to have just about all the new or recent introductions. And if you buy 3 or more it's 25% off your order.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wayside Garden Center 2012 Price List

• hokierustywilliamsbu
    11 years ago

my local lowes has them in Williamsburg Va

• luis_pr
    11 years ago

Hat's off to you and happy you found exactly what you wanted. A nice start for the Memorial Day Weekend. I once almost did a drive from Texas to Iowa looking for some plant except ... now I do not remember what was it and why I never went. Hee hee hee!

• hydrangeasnohio
    11 years ago

Here is a few pics of one of my Togethers from a couple years ago. Having problems finding last years photos. Plus a pic of my Peppermint blooms. Congrats on Finding a Together. You will enjoy it!

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the pics, Ohio. I got my Together hydrangea this morning in Grove, OK and am quite excited about it.

By the way, in case anyone was wondering, Elizabeth and Darcy overcame all their misunderstandings and got married and lived happily ever after. (Well, my audiotape didn't have time to get all the way to the end of the novel, but I have read/listened to the novel many times--so know how the novel ends. LOL )

Kate

• luis_pr
    11 years ago

Well, I think I can tell you where the F&E Together Hydrangeas went. The Lowe's up here are very well stocked. Counted 9 togethers in small 3g pots and 5 gallon pots; had to stop counting.... Several/many F&E Fantasias and the original as well!

• valtorrez
    11 years ago

You have to actually go to the store. The staff does not want to look. When I called around arout F and E they said they did not have it. I went to three looking for white out or together. I found a Together in St. Charles in the 2 gallon pt. But most of them have a million Fantasia's and just a couple of White Outs and Peppermints. I saw Together in 16.98 pot but as earlier writer stated, they were small. I also

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I guess it depends on the location of the Lowes stores. As far as I know, there are no Lowes stores in Kansas for some reason, whereas just across the border in Missouri, there are lots of Lowes--but no Together hydrangeas. Oklahoma has only a very limited number of Lowes, plus has Together. Sounds like Lowes is more of a eastern part of the country franchise or something. Both Lowes and more choices in the Forever and Ever series seem more common in many of the posters' regions.

Oh well, all I needed was one Lowes with one hydrangea--which is what I found! I'm happy.

Kate

Sponsored
Through The Garden, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
#1 Landscape Design Build Firm Serving Virginia/Maryland & DC Area