Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Worm in my hydrangea

Posted by vignewood z6 CT (My Page) on
Fri, May 17, 13 at 22:49

The leaves at the tip of some Annabelle Hydrangea are stuck together witha worm inside. How should I treat this? What Insecticide is best? Is there another way to correct this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Worm in my hydrangea

Could be hydrangea leaf roller caterpillars; very common to hear about them in Annabelle. Always wondered what is up with that??? Can have a high gross factor if you peek inside. Will not kill the plant or affect it health-wise. Some people pick them up at night and drop them in whisky or beer (not sure if the beverage was being consumed before that or not! Hee hee hee!). Easier to deal with them while they are trying to get to the leaves. Once they roll up in the leaves, it is more difficult for insecticides to get to them. You can also apply bacillus thuringiensis (Bt) or neem oil. Reapply Bt at the start of May next year too, a few weeks before the problem started.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here