Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
small yelllow leaves near base?

Posted by teddychicago 5 (My Page) on
Sat, May 29, 10 at 23:01

Hi, I am a new gardener and new to this forum. I hope someone can help me!

I planted 3 Invincibelles in a north to south shady row (3 gallon pots from a nursery) several weeks ago. Plenty of space between each. They were roughly the same size when I planted them.

The northern most and middle plant are in the shade most of the day. The southern most plant gets a few hours of morning and midday sun, then shade the rest of the day.

I have noticed that the northern most plant is smallest, the middle plant is medium size, and the southern plant has grown the most.

BUT.. the southern plant has yellowing leaves inside, near the base of the plant. Small, new looking leaves. And all the leaves generally look wilty-er. The other two plants do not have yellow leaves and always look robust.

What am I doing wrong? Am I watering the southern plant too much? I give all the plants the same amount of water roughly and the other two look better. Is the southern plant getting too much sun? He's the tallest. In fact, the other two are bending toward him because that's where the sunlight is.

There are blooms on all the branches. That gives me hope that I am doing something right, eh? Because they didn't have them when I bought them last month. Any advice is greatly appreciated! thanks :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: small yelllow leaves near base?

Sorry, I planted Incrediball types - the large white flowers. I just read something about Invincibelles, hence the mistake.

o

I am also a newbie, but what I've learned is to trust your instincts. You have 3 hydrangeas.... All getting the same amount of water. The one in more sun is getting yellow wilty leaves while the other 2 are fine. I'd say since it is in more sun it needs more water than the other 2. Water it deeply every 3 days or so throughout the first growing season.

Incidentally, I planted a row of limelights on the north side of my house, and noticed the same thing.... little yellow leaves at the base of the plant. I upped the watering and they are just perfect now. Good luck!

o

Thanks, Joanne! Makes perfect sense!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here