Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hydrangeas in Full Shade?

Posted by azmountains_gardener Zone 5, Arizona (My Page) on
Tue, May 31, 11 at 23:09

I have a hole in my backyard plantings that I need to fill and that is in full shade (it may get an hour or so of sun in the early morning). Would a hydrangea do well in full shade? A local nursery has a Hydrangea paniculata "Limelight" that I am interested in putting there. The manager said it would do well in the spot, but online sources have been saying that it needs part sun to part shade.

The nursery also has several mopheads, but I understand that most are not hardy here in Zone 5. I do have an Endless Summer that survived this winter (its first winter).

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hydrangeas in Full Shade?

It may be a good site for Limelight. Less sun normally means less blooms but Limelight will benefit because its immature blooms stay green longer of exposed to less sunlight. Just make sure that it can fit in that location since Limelight can get large. Some mopheads may also do well but you will have to try them out to confirm. Again, the problem will be the possibility of less blooms. Any of the Endless Summer Series and the Forever & Ever Series will do well in Zone 5 but the panicultas (Limelight) and arborescens (Bella Anna, Annabelle) will handle even more cold than that. Keep the soil moist and well mulched; water during dry winters if the soil does not freeze.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here