Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Green leaf, speckled

Posted by kuzican 4 (My Page) on
Tue, May 4, 10 at 23:21

Hi guys,

I'm hoping someone can help me here. I've been all over the net looking for a hydrangea my mom saw in 2000. It's a green leaf, with white spots on it. Looks like poka-dots on it. I've been looking all over the net for it. How ever, I don't have a name for it. I don't even know what color the flower is. I've found it on a few sites, but it's not the plant listed for sale, it's the one behind it. lol.. Only my luck.

I'm hoping someone on here has seen it, or knows what it's called.

Thank you for your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Green leaf, speckled

There are several cultivars of variegated hydrangeas. They are all selections of H. macrophylla - 'Mariesii Variegata', 'Tricolor', 'Light O'Day', 'Lemon Wave', etc. None of them have what I'd term "speckled" foliage - the variegation is most often seen as bands of color along the leaf margins although these may be irregular in form. Kinda like hostas in how they show most variegation in streaks or bands rather than dotted or speckled.

Regardless, you will have to go to some extraordinary efforts to get these to grow well in zone 4. Winter protection is a requirement. And none of these plants are particularly free to flower outside of ideal hydrangea zones (7&8). Also, for some undefined reason, variegated hydrangeas always produce lacecap type flowers, even when discovered as sports of mopheads.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here