Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jostus

Hydrangea 'Strawberries and cream'

Florida_Joe's_Z10a
13 years ago

I've been seeing this hydrangea a lot lately.It's always offered in six inch bright pink cointainers in plastic sleeves. It is a lacecap variety .The label claims the bush is covered all summer with blooms. Does anyone have any experience with this hydrangea? If so, Is it a rebloomer? The price is sort of hefty ($19.99) and I am only willing to pay it if it is actually a rebloomer.Unfourtunaly I can't find any information relating to it on the internet. Any information would be appreciated.

Comments (9)

• macgyver2009
    13 years ago

Here is a wbsite with some information:

http://www.tesselaar.com/plants/strawberriescreamhydrangea/

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    13 years ago

Maybe others know something I don't, but I was not aware that there are reblooming hydrangeas. Mine at least bloom once, but the blooms last for a long time.

If there are reblooming hydrangeas, I'd be interested in learning more about them. Or are we talking about hydrangeas that bloom once on old wood (assuming the winter cold doesn't freeze those buds--which usually does happen in my Zone 6) and once on new wood?

Kate

• wild_belief
    13 years ago

dublinbay,
    You guessed it right! remontant, or 'reblooming' hydrangeas are a group of macrophyllas that will produce a second flush of blooms later in season, generally after 'deadheading' of the first flush, with good watering, feeding, and a long enough growing season. They do in fact bloom on new growth, and of course on old growth, if the buds aren't nipped by a late frost. Some of the varieties that come to mind are 'Endless Summer', 'Blushing Bride', 'David Ramsey', 'All Summer Beauty', 'Decatur Blue', 'Penny Mac', 'Mini Penny', and 'Oak Hill'. All of these but Blushing Bride are pastel blue or pink depending on soil pH, with Blushing Bride starting white and developing pink coloration with time. Most folks would be hard pressed to tell the difference between them if they were laid out in a line, because the differences are truly minor. In some cases, it is arguable that the differences are nonexistant.

'Endless Summer', for instance, which is probably the most prevalent, and certainly most marketed variety, was patented by Bailey nurseries (though a quick read of the patent shows they had no legal basis for doing so) and has been shown to be essentially identical genetically to the not-patented (and therefore generally less expensive) variety 'David Ramsey'. My favorite of the bunch is All Summer Beauty, which, though not listed in the literature as remontant, absolutely is (at least here in Georgia). I hope you find one that suits your tastes, and that will bloom reliably for you, regardless of late frosts.
    Good gardening!

• Florida_Joe's_Z10a
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you for the link macgyver2009.It states that the blooming period is 3-4 months, from summer to first frost in the garden. Unfortunately it is still unclear if this means this variety holds onto its blooms during these months or if it is remontant. I am afraid the only way for me to find out will be to purchase it. Sigh

• wild_belief
    13 years ago

As far as I'm aware, the only lacecap available in general trade billed as a rebloomer is 'Summer Lace' in the Forever & Ever line. I'm inclined to guess that since the marketing for Strawberries & Cream doesn't scream about it being a rebloomer, it probably isn't.

• melaroma
    13 years ago

Another reblooming lacecap is twist and shout by endless summer. Do a search for endless summer hydrangeas and another search for forever and ever hydrangeas for rebloomers. Strawberries and cream is not a rebloomer.

• dfaustclancy
    12 years ago

I purchased a very large (15 blossoms) hydrangea from Lowes that had lovely soft-pink bushy flowers to be used as an indoor plant during the Easter holidays. I got a great deal on this plant ($10) because it was "drooping", as you know hydrangeas have to have a lot of moisture or they will droop. Once watered, however, they perk up. The label read zone 7 thru 9 and I know I live in zone 5, therefore this plant was going to be a centerpiece for two weeks or less and could not be used in the garden, unless it was strictly as an annual! I loudly complained to the sales manager that they shouldn't be selling plants that could not live in the Zone they were being sold in, which is why I might have gotten a good deal. But here's the kicker. The label said Strawberries N Cream! When I googled it, the plant is supposed to be a red lacecap and instead it is a pink paniculata! Sheesh. I figured a small flower centerpiece costs over $20, so I got a live plant, but it was mislabled and goodness knows what the heck it is. I'm ticked. I've got it out in the garden now, I expect almost nothing since it's life span will be this summer only, so maybe I'll get surprised. Has anyone else gotten mislabled plants from the big boxes?

• brockwebb
    10 years ago

I just bought one from Lowes today as well, for my son to give as a Monther's day gift.

No info card came with it, so had to hit the 'Net for research. I got lucky that it should be OK for zone 7, and I live close to the Chesapeake Bay, so should be somewhat temperate.

We have 3 hydrangeas that do nicely, it will go next to them... I'll wait until June to plant it outside though.

I'm excited to see what it will do, how it will live, if I learn anything surprising I'll post a follow-up

• October_Gardens
    10 years ago

FYI Strawberries & Cream has been patented as 'Jon01' and is a sport of 'Taube' (a.k.a. the Teller lacecap series), with the difference lying in pigmentation.

Seeing as how you are in zone 7, this shrub should do fine, but if you look up anything about the Teller series, I would treat it according to any recommendations. I'd expect it's size to max out at 5x5' and bloom reliably.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hyd. Mac. Jon01 patent information