Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
iechris

Neighbor sprayed hydrangeas with weed killer- any hope?

iechris
13 years ago

Two of my small struggling hydrangeas suddenly took a turn for the worse a few weeks ago. Both had a bunch of black leaves all of a sudden. We had lower overnight temps, so I figured they must have gotten hit with a late frost, even though I didn't see any frost and the basil seedlings out in the middle of the yard were fine.

I dug up one of the hydrangeas and potted it as I'd been planning on moving it due to root competition. It almost immeadiately looked like it wasn't going to make it. I'm finally starting to think it might survive. The remaining in ground hydrangea looks pretty awful right now.

I'm really thinking now that my neighbor must have sprayed weed killer (more like industrial strength brush killer) and some of it came through the fence (wire fencing) into my yard. There is now a dead zone along his driveway and his side of the fence is also a dead zone, where previously it was full of weeds.

So, I don't know what to do about the hydrangea that is still in the ground. I'm afraid if I dig it up it will die from transplant shock, but I don't know what else to do.

I am really very upset about this, no only does this neighbor have a have a chihuahua that bites me almsot every time I weed in my front yard (broke the skin last time) and a chained up pit bull in the back yard, he has now attempted to murder my 'Gentian Dome' and 'Mini Penny'. ARGGHHHHHH.

Comments (3)