Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Transplant Shock?

Posted by mamakatb 9 Fresno (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 20, 10 at 0:46

We just planted a nice hydrangea yesterday, and now nearly all the the stems are drooping to the ground. We added some compost to the planting hole, then mulched around the plant and watered. Is this normal transplant shock, or something else? Is there anything I should do or just wait it out?

I had a rose bush that did the same thing, and now it's thriving, so I'm hoping my hydrangea is ok.

I'm a total novice, and I'm really trying to remedy my brown thumb... heehee.

Thanks
~Katherine

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Transplant Shock?

How much sun is it getting? You may need to set up some temporary shade (a lawn chair or something like that) to give it protection until it settles in (2-4 weeks).

It wouldn't hurt to put one of those small metal "fences" around it to hold up the canes for now.

Patience for now--but let us know how things are doing in a couple weeks.

Kate

P.S. It would help if you could give the name or type of hydrangea you planted--and described the planting conditions a bit more.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here