Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flankatten

Paniculata 'Wim's Red' in a pot - bad idea?

Flankatten
10 years ago

I recently bought a paniculata 'Wim's Red' and I really look forward to the color-changing blooms. There's a particular spot in my garden where I want to plant it, but that spot is currently home to a smallish 'Nikko Blue' that I planted last year. My plan is to keep the Red in a pot until they both go dormant, then transplant the Blue to a new spot and put the Red in its place. Is this a bad idea? The Red just barely fit into a 12" pot with about an inch to spare. Should I upgrade to a 22" pot, or will it be okay with the tight fit through the rest of the growing season? Any reason not to keep it potted at all?

Comments (7)

• luis_pr
    10 years ago

Oh, congratulations! Where did you get one? Locally or by mail? I have been making plans to find a spot for one myself but no luck so far.

I normally would place hydrangeas in a pot that is 2" or so bigger than the current one. But did you realize that this is one big paniculata? You are going to have to prune often to keep it in check if put in a container. That is why I was looking for a place in the ground. I no longer remember exactly but, I was l think I was looking for a spot that would handle/measure a 10' by 10' bush. Or maybe I am remembering the dimensions of some other plant. Not sure any more...

It probably can be grown in a container, albeit it will eventually need a big heavy one. Please take bloom pictures in the fall and post them! I have been looking for late summer or early fall pictures... of when the pink fades into a magenta-type of color in the fall. So far, I have only seen the same picture from the wholesaler over and over again. I am not sure if the wholeseller tweaked the colors to sell more or if it really looks like that.

Luis

• Flankatten
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Luis! I got it from my local Home Depot. Boy, was I surprised to see them there! I was doubly thrilled that they were all beautiful, healthy-looking plants--bright red, very upright canes with perfectly formed foliage and absolutely covered in bud clusters. I almost bought two.

You make a good point about the anticipated size of this hydrangea. Its tag says 3-5' tall and 3-4' wide, but online sellers claim 6-10' tall and wide. I had been expecting it to stay on the smaller side, but now I think it would be best to put it in the ground ASAP in a space that will allow it plenty of room to spread out. If my Wim's Red gets as big as the online sellers claim, it ought to be planted somewhere it can really show off.

There will be pictures!

Here is a link that might be useful:

• luis_pr
    10 years ago

Ah, so I was thinking of that hydrangea when I went looking for a 10x10 space. Thanks for the picture. I like the shade of wine red in those stems!

FYI... when I see a size estimate like that, I assume that the smaller number is their guess in areas where the growing season is short and the larger number applies to areas like ours where the growing season is longer. But it is puzzling why the online sellers have it at 10' (I think that is where I first saw the size) and the tag has a very different estimate. Unless they now have better estimates and shrank them from 10x10 to 3-5. But how odd would that be. Hmmm,,,,

Good to know the shrub is available at HD. Will stop by to see if it is for sale in my HD Stores. I find it difficult to find paniculatas locally. But I did see some tree-form Limelights this afternoon 30% off. It may sound odd but hydrangeas are now "on sale" in many stores because it is getting late for selling them. I just purchased a medium sized oakleaf hydrange called Ruby Slippers. Oakleafs are drought tolerant once established so I am hoping it will do well here like other dwarf oakleafs. I will post pictures too.

Luis

• Flankatten
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm planting the Wim's Red in a sunny spot where it will get lots of attention. I'm concerned that it might get too hot during summer afternoons, but I'm just plumb out of shady spots in my garden. If the worst I have to deal with is a little wilting, I'll be pleased. Wish me luck.

I've noticed hydrangea sales, too. Particularly, I've seen lots of mopheads that were blooming brightly in May and have now gone all brown and mucky on the shelves in the garden center of HD.

Good luck with your new oakleaf! I just love finding fantastic plants at great prices. In April I bought 4 climbing hydrangeas to train up lattice trellises on my front porch. I got them for a little under $18 apiece from WaysideGardens.com. I haven't seen a better price since and I was very pleased with the way they were shipped. They've all leafed out nicely and they have peely bark that looks awesome even without foliage. I can't wait to see how they'll look once they've become established.

I look forward to your pictures.

• luis_pr
    10 years ago

Consider looking for some 35% shade clothing if you can find it somewhere. It may help reduce leaf damage during July-August.

That is the time that a macrophylla of mine suffered from sunscald when the branches of a Crape Myrtle that gave it shade got cut by hail and wind during a particularly bad thunderstorm in July.

• Flankatten
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Picture of flowers starting to open on the Wim's Red (aka Fire & Ice) paniculata. Pretty pink details!

• luis_pr
    10 years ago

I like the red stems in that picture!