Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
new hydrangea 'mom'

Posted by ladybugsmom192 9 - SF Bay Area (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 29, 10 at 3:28

hiya! i'm quite happy to have finally gotten one and it's gorgeous! i'm not sure exactly which type it is, i'm pretty sure it's a lacetop or mophead based on pictures and research though. it's a deep pink with deep green leaves and i got her from home depot.

now on with my questions: (and yes, i did search this forum)

- i'm anxious about transplanting it and am hearing conflicting info about when to do it - fall, or anytime if it's in a container to be transplanted. she's in a 5 gallon container.

- it has big blooms and big leaves, and upon inspection it seems like the leaves are blocking proper growth and formation of the blooms and other branches. so would it be ok to cut/prune the leaves?

- what's the best kind of fertilizer to use for hydrangeas in general, as i plan to get more.

thanks for your help!

angela

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: new hydrangea 'mom'

I would plant it now but only if its not 80 or above. Thats what our local nursery says but I have planted in heat , I just don,t ruff up the roots. Plant it in semi shade for your area. I like to move them around in pots when I first get them so I can find a spot where the plant is happy. If its happy potted for a week in a area then it will more than likely be happy planted there. If its to hot to plant you can also dig a hole and put the pot in it so the plant won,t blow over and it will keep the roots cooler than being in a above ground pot.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here