Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mzmolly65

can you help id this hydrangea please

MzMolly65
10 years ago

Last year we were unable to identify this hydrangea because it hadn't flowered at all. We bought the house in spring and I trimmed it back because it was so gangly and untended, no blooms that year, Then in the fall I chopped her back again and planted a bunch of branch ends.

The transplants from fall are just starting to bloom. I'm not home and SO is sending me pics, this is the best he's sent. Does this picture help i.d. it at all?

I'm so happy with the transplants. It was late fall and I took a risk, just stuck them in the ground, covered them with clear plastic containers and piled mulch high around them.

They all survived and I'll have a lovely hedge of hydrangea all along the side of my garden shed.

Comments (7)

• October_Gardens
    10 years ago

Looks like Mme. Mouillere or something similar. Pure white & sun tolerant.

• MzMolly65
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well ... how-dee-doo! I was so sure the flowers were white but DH was talking about a hummingbird hanging around the "pink" flowers along the garden shed and I asked him, "what pink flowers?"

So he took pictures and sent them. Whaa??? My baby sprouts are pink, while mamma still looks white. Mamma is not in full flower like these babies so I'm learning that the flowers can start out white and turn pink .. is that right?

Also, I never saw Mamma in full flower, just dead blooms that were brown but looked as if they had been white (which is why I assumed she was white). Do the pink flowers fade to white before dying?

Any suggestions on type of plant and how best to care for it. I'm new to this but have a whole wall of these growing along my shed now that the sprouts have all taken root.

• MzMolly65
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is Mamma .. (picture taken at night)

• MzMolly65
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sorry .. one more question. Is there any way to force these blooms to be white? Maybe not this year but in future years?

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    10 years ago

Many hydrangeas start out with white or very pale colored flowers that develop into their "true" color as the flowers mature and fully open. If the pink colored baby is a start from the larger, yet to open hydrangea, then it too will be pink once fully opened.

And unfortunately you cannot change a colored hydrangea into a white. If you want a white one, you need to purchase one that flowers white. Like the Mme. Emile Mouillere mentioned above.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    10 years ago

Many hydrangeas start out with white or very pale colored flowers that develop into their "true" color as the flowers mature and fully open. If the pink colored baby is a start from the larger, yet to open hydrangea, then it too will be pink once fully opened.

And unfortunately you cannot change a colored hydrangea into a white. If you want a white one, you need to purchase one that flowers white. Like the Mme. Emile Mouillere mentioned above.

• MzMolly65
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ok, thanks for that info. I was lucky enough to have this one already mature in the garden when we bought the house but if I had known it was pink I may not have planted all those sprouts beside the yellow garden shed, LOL!

It will still look nice when they're all mature. Are these mopheads?