Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Will hydrangea do well in this space?

Posted by Ordphien 9, SoCal (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 23, 11 at 6:16

Its a corner in my yard. Theres a 5 foot wall. And currently there is a 7 by 7 foot Bird of Paradise in the space. I hate it. But it has always been there. I decided I want to rip it out and plant something more appealing. I remembered the giant Hydrangeas up north in the Olympic Peninsula. Giant flowering things of beauty. Being in Southern California I don't expect it to get that big. But I would still like a healthy happy plant. I have a giant pine and a giant amber maple? in my yard that create shade throughout the day. I know that spot gets low light most of the day. I think the sun hits it early in the morning and about an hour before sundown. The rest of the time its shaded and get whatever ambient light is around it. The sun hits all around it. About a foot away from the edge of the Bird of Paradise. Would it do well, or should I consider another plant?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Will hydrangea do well in this space?

Hydrangeas get quite wide so it may look strange to have a -for example- 3 to 5 feet wide hydrangea growing only a foot away from the BOP. I am not familiar with the root system of the BOP or how wide it gets. If the roots grow mostly downwards, you could plant the hydrangea nearby and everyone would be happy and there would be little root competition for food/water between the two. Otherwise, you may need to place the hydrangea further away from the reach of the BOP roots.

Other than that, the area sounds fine for hydrangeas if you can provide enough moisture for the hydrangea. But not too much moisture for the BOP (the leaves turn yellow).

o
RE: Will hydrangea do well in this space?

• Posted by lelia Northern Cal (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 23, 11 at 17:40

If, as you said, there is sun all around the shaded area, just little to no direct light, it should be fine. If your Bird of Paradise blooms, then you know you've got enough light for a hydrangea. Good luck digging it up.

Have you taken a look online at any hydrangea nurseries? There are a gazillion varieties and they're fun to shop for.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here