Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Climbing hydrangea suggestion needed

Posted by mrtoad 7b NC (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 12, 10 at 7:30

Last week I removed a structure from my potager and replaced it with a bubbly fountain I would like to use this structure in another location I would also like to plant a climbing hydrangea to climb and cover this wooden tower it about six feet tall does a small climbing hydrangea exist
Thanks

Mr toad

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Climbing hydrangea suggestion needed

Small, but not small enough :-) There is a form of Japanese climbing hydrangea, Schizophragma hydrangeiodes 'Platt Dwarf', that grows about half the size of a typical climbing hydrangea but it will still reach 20-30' feet in time. Tends not to be a very heavy bloomer also - I have yet to see one in bloom. Any other selection will rapidly overwhelm a 6' structure.

Climbing hydrangeas are BIG vines and develop a very heavy woody trunk and stem structure once established. They require an equally sturdy and sufficiently large support structure as well. And they do not vine but attach themselves with rootlets along the stems - this type of climbing method does not lend itself to small trellises or smaller wooden supports. They need some expanse of surface - preferrably with some texture to it - for the rootlets to grip and adhere to.

You could of course use your wooden structure as a small vertical 'lift' to give a hydrangea some emphasis, but with a support so small, your essentially growing the hydrangea more as a free-flowing shrub or groundcover, which many gardeners do. Just understand that its size will exceed your expectations - and the wooden structure - in time. And more rapidly than you'd expect.

Also, pruning to maintain a smaller size will result in minimal flowering, if at all.

Mature climbing hydrangea growing 50' up a Douglas fir:

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here