Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Moving dilema

Posted by edufrin 5b (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 21, 09 at 7:55

I've just recently put my house on the market and my realtor asked me a question that has been bugging me for days... "Do I want to reserve any of your plants?" At the time I said "no" but now I'm having second thoughts about my Limelight, my first gardening purchase in my very first garden and it is about 2-3 feet around with lots of little green branches. I live in Michigan now but plan on moving to Texas, would a move in a pot hurt my hydrangea? If I dug it up I would do it now so that the prospective new owners wouldn't even know what they'd be missing. Is it dangerous to dig up and keep in a pot (for a few months probably) as it prepares to flower? It would be relatively simple to dig as I just planted it last spring in a raised bed. Has anyone out there ever done this or have any advise for me?

I'm struggling with that old Chinese proverb of the two women fighting over the child and the true mother gives him up so that she doesn't hurt him. I don't want to kill my hydrangea when it could do better just left alone. =P

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Moving dilema

Have you already visited your new and have a location chosen for the plant? Some areas of Texas have caliche soil that will force you to keep the plant in a pot because it is difficult for plant roots to break thru (and the soil is extremely alkaline). Other areas of the state have clay which does not drain well but which some hydrangeas will tolerate if also given amendments with some regularity. East Texas is perhaps where the soil may be best for growing hydrangeas.

Paniculatas will need to be planted so they get shade starting at 11pm this time of the year. Otherwise the leaves will scorch from the sun and the blooms will brown out. Since the big thing with Limelight is the color of the immature blooms, you want to limit the amount of sunlight so the blooms do not quickly turn from green to white. Thus, stopping sun exposure even earlier than 11am (6-9am only for example) might be a good idea in this case.

I would also try to propagate via cuttings if you are attached to this plant, in case the transplant/move does not work for some reason.

o
RE: Moving dilema

Thanks Luis for the advise! I don't know the exact location of our new house but I know it will be in the Spring area (North West of Houston). I've heard that it is a good location and to top that off we are only looking at houses with mature trees on the property. I've tried to propagate this Limelight but no result has been good... I'm not loosing hope, though.

I had no idea that the sunlight made the early blooms turn white prematurely, learn something new everyday!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here