Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pruining Question

Posted by anderson_dc 5a (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 16, 10 at 8:36

I planted three ES hydrangeas this spring and so far they have exceeded my expectations. One question that i have is a couple of the hydrangeas were hit with frost early this spring and now the flowers have all faded away and are turning brown and have fallen off the stems. Is it ok if i prune the stems where the spent flowers are located or will that effect bud formation for next year? The only reason i ask is because it looks kind of silly and isnt aesthetically pleasing.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pruining Question

Go right ahead! Hydrangea macrophyllas should be pruned after they bloom. Reblooming hydrangeas are actually more likely to develop flowers again later in the season if you 'deadhead' them just after their first flush has run its course. Be sure to cut your stems just above a pair of leaves (or at any node) for the most success.

o
RE: Pruining Question

Thanks for the tip. I read on a website yesterday that it was ok to prune as well so i went ahead last night and pruned them up. No longer does my twist n shout and blue original look silly! :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here