Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Blue Danube

Posted by macgyver2009 z5b PA (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 16, 12 at 8:37

I was poking around Lowe's last week and came upon a rack of hydrangeas they just received in 1.5 gallon pots. They were all labeled Blue Danube or Merritt's Supreme. Many had a mixture of two types of hydrangeas. I ended up with two pots and only one had a Blue Danube in it. The first...

Photobucket

I'm guessing this is Kardinal (they had a lot that looked like Blaumeise) along with a white mophead that I can't guess. The color combination was too beautiful to pass up, so even though it won't be bloom hardy in my zone, I potted it and will grow in a container for another year or two. What would be the best fertilizer to hold the beautiful red color?

The second pot has Blue Danube along with what looks like Harlequin. Another one for pot growing in my zone. Is anyone having luck with this one outside in colder zones?

Photobucket

Photobucket

I also came across a new Stargazer at Home Depot. Wish they would have had a Blue Cassel too. Stargazer is advertised as re-blooming and is very pretty.

Photobucket

Photobucket

I absolutely love the month of June...wish I could freeze time right now!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Blue Danube

Awesome buys!

o

Yes excellent finds. The Merritt's and Danube sold out quickly. Some of the Merritt's were the Ravel variety with pink/white combo flowers. Also some of the Danubes indeed did come in many different colors and petal shapes, which obviously meant they were florist hydrangea of many types. The sizes and prices were fairly decent but I decided I have enough florist hydrangeas and passed.

I will look out for stargazers - they are on my short list as I only have enough room left for the Ball Hort and Plants Nouveau selections.

o

Star Gazer is better looking in person. I chose one that had a lot of buds yet, so something to look forward to. I hope it performs better than the F&E hydrangeas for me...just won't grow in my clay soil.

I'm running out of space also. I'd love to see some of the new Plants Nouveau selections. They were on the shrub list for a local nursery, but when I asked, they said they would not be getting any. Have you seen them?

o

No, I haven't seen them. If you Facebook Plants Nouveau, they've ID'd a grower or two that are carrying their selections. The catch is, you have to buy in bulk, so I guess you'd have to convince a local nursery (and a chain to boot) to buy from the grower. I think the one had a minimum $4000 order; and I couldn't imagine anyplace spending that much on hydrangeas alone, so they'd have to order tons of other stuff too (which would probably fill a 53' trailer).

o

All here in Virginia I could find though marked Merritt's Supreme they were all laecaps at Lowes-why do they bother to label them?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here