Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
coffee grounds

Posted by olivia22 6, WV (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 2, 10 at 9:01

Hi there,
I've got 2 new hydrangeas this year. One is only about 2 feet wide and 2 feet tall (tag said it would be 8-10' tall) and a little baby one, just barely a foot tall, and not wide at all (it will be about 3'x3'. I would like to lower the pH and I've tried the sulfate pellets that Epsoma sells. It worked, but not enough. I heard that dried coffee grounds works. And I've got some saved, I use coffee grounds/banana peels/water on my roses. But I'm not sure how much? Has anyone else ever used coffee grounds on their hydrangeas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: coffee grounds

let me rephrase that. I tried the soil acidifier from Epsoma, but I was a big ol wuss and I know that I didn't put nearly enough.

o

UCG's - used coffee grounds - are nearly neutral in pH and will not change soil pH. Virtually all the acidity is extracted with the coffee itself. If you want organic or natural soil acidifiers, try cottonseed meal, peat moss or agricultural sulfur. And if you retry the Espoma product, apply according to label directions :-)

None of these are immediate fixes.....it takes time for soil acidifiers to work.

o

I can suggest not adding any used coffee grounds unless you put them in a compost pile or bin and fully compost them first. You may see some plant death with smaller plants if you add them straight on. It would be better to buy a bagged soil compost type product if you want a quick fix without composting. UCG are also used as a weed killer when applied directly to the weeds.

o

tropical, do you have any cites or references that support this notion? I've done a lot of research on UCG's and I've never encountered anything that indicated they had any allelopathic or herbicidal characteristics. They are generally considered a low nutrient fertilizer (NPK 3-1-2), in much the same way most other seed meals are. They can be hydrophobic if allowed to dry or crust over, but I've never heard them responsible for plant death.

o

I added plenty of coffee grounds around the base of two Nikko blue hydrangeas and encountered no problems. They were a lovely blue, but I can't say they wouldn't have been the same color without the coffee grounds.

Anyway, now the grounds go in compost but I certainly didn't harm the hydrangeas with direct application.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here