Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gribbleton

I need to prune my hydrangeas really hard

gribbleton
11 years ago

Early this spring I hacked off some hydrangea clumps from some established plants. About 90% survived.

So now the clumps are rooted, some are starting to flower. They are lacecaps and mopheads. They look terrible though, tall and lanky, with few leaves on existing woody stems. Luckily most are sprouting new growth from the base though.

According to the internet, late summer after flowers 'fade' (whatever that means..they seem to last forever almost)..you're supposed to prune.

Would then be a good time to hack them back really far to get rid of all the lanky growth? I'm a little hesitant because doing so would take just about all of their developed growth away, leaving some new branches of growth that probably aren't woody. It'd be a shame to lose the plants from hacking away all of the woody growth.

I guess the other option would be pruning in stages, so maybe this year take half the woody growth length off, rather than 100% of the woody growth off.

What do you think? Just trying to get some good structure going on these new transplants.

Thanks!

Comments (2)