Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jacks44

Hydrangea not a good plant to keep

jacks44
13 years ago

After planting 3 different Hydrangeas with three different soil, water, light and temperature conditions here is what i learned:

Hydrangeas are not designed to be in any climate that exceeds 85 degrees in temperature.

So if you live anywhere in the Southwest, despite it being sold everywhere in the Southwest,this is not a good plant to have.

Second, if you are into water conservation (which everyone should be) or if the city you live in has frequent water restriction in the summer, this is not a good plant to have.

Hydrangeas are water hogs. If you cannot water Hydrangeas on a daily basis they eventually die.

If you go one day without watering in hot temperatures they will droop and will never fully perk up to where they were before.

Hydrangeas are like female Golddiggers--They may beautiful but it takes alot of work, attention, and resources to keep them looking beautiful and happy. Sadly, in the end, much like with the Golddigger-you are left disappointed--Emotionally and physically broke with no resources and a hydrangea that "checked out".

Do yourself a favor--leave the "Hydrangeas" to those who have the climate, stamina, resources and are willing to put up with a demanding thing of beauty, just to have a bit of beauty from time to time (certain times of the year).

As for me personally, i prefer beautiful things that are far less demanding;)

Such as Oriental LiLy's and Jasmine, which are strong under most conditions, and gorgeous with an intoxicating fragrance.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
One Source Systems
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Top Choice for Reliable Home Automation & Home Media in Loudoun County