Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
You might want to check out 'Merritt's Supreme' at Lowe's because

Posted by Springwood_Gardens 6B Pittsburgh (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 19, 14 at 9:36

Lowe's (and the grower Kurt Weiss Greenhouses) is doing it again, selling all kinds of oddball cultivars of H. macrophylla with Merritt's Supreme tags on them. Fortunately for collectors and testers, these are highly rare.

Today, I found what is *highly likely* to be the new intros Kolmaru / Magical Ruby Red (Merritt's does not exhibit this deep shade of red or growth habit) and Kolmagics / Magical Sunfields. The first could also be Hot Red / Agrihydradrie and second one could also be Qufu / Magical Greenfire but it's too early to tell. Green Shadow (also spotted in the mix) is the parent of these as well as Horwack / Pistachio and the current F&E red 'Maltisse'.

Ruby Red and Sunfields:
 photo IMG_20140619_084028_854.jpg

Also carrying the same tags were likely Kolmgarip / Everlasting Garnet, Hortmahar / Everlasting Harmony, and some others I could not distinguish.

Later identified was also Pink Sensation, which is unique because it has extremely thick stems, large inflorescences, frilled petals. It blooms a creamy white and immediately changes to flat bubblegum pink.

All plants are in 1.5 gallon containers for $16.98

This post was edited by Springwood_Gardens on Thu, Jun 19, 14 at 20:44

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: You might want to check out 'Merritt's Supreme' at Lowe's bec

Will these stay red and pink or will they change to blue like the others do in my garden?

o

They could go somewhat blue or purple. This said, there is a lot of red pigment in the ones I photographed so it would be somewhat difficult unless the soil was highly acidic.

o

• Posted by sandyl Zone 6B -7 (My Page) on
    Fri, Jun 20, 14 at 13:59

I have also found that they do not stay the color in my garden as when I purchase them and I use garden lime on the pinks and the blueing on the blue one's. When I plant them is the only time I see them for what I purchased them for. I haul water from the creek or use rain water to water them. I don't use tap water for my hydrangea's

o

I saw those today! I thought,"That sure doesn't look like my Merritt." Now I'm going to have to buy one :)

o

Sadly not in my local store-however did get some very nice ES,BB and TnS for 7.94 at Wal-Mart as marked half off for burnt blooms. Think I will plant them at the church were they will be long loved.

o

Here is Mars (NOT Proven Winners) and Pink Sensation:

photo IMG_20140622_112819_238.jpg

o

Very nice but not here-will check other Lowes and HD as will travel some tomorrow...

o

Everlasting Harmony?? These were opening cream white with mint tinge and are now maturing to light pink with green streaks.

photo IMG_20140625_070548_688.jpg

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here