Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
october_gardens

Blue Cassel remontant lacecaps are out there..

October_Gardens
11 years ago

Just checked Home Depot. They (ones in my area at least) now have limited quantities of Blue Cassel lacecap hydrangea (2-gal's for $20).

Not much has been written about it, but it was recently introduced to the market in 2011, so if you want to be one of the early birds to try it, pick one now for size, buds, and structure of your choice (as the individual plants vary). Extremely thick upright stems, bloom on old and new wood. Supposedly grows 4-5ft tall. Much different in appearance and habit than other pH-sensitive lacecaps, such as Summer Lace, Twist 'n Shout, etc.

This one could easily override older varieties, such as Blue Wave, Blaumeise, etc.

Comments (8)

• macgyver2009
    11 years ago

Were the Blue Cassel's in bloom? Did they look like Blaumeise? I've only been able to find a few pictures on the web, but I thought they looked similar. I'd love to grow Blaumeise, but I don't think it would bloom reliably for me and I don't have the patience for winter protection.

• October_Gardens
    Original Author
    11 years ago

No none were in bloom yet. Do a Google image search and you will see one in the broccoli stage - that's what most of them looked like. I think one was starting to bloom and was showing pink. The one I picked was for size and cane count. They were only marked by the UPC sticker on the side. The growing medium was nice and heavy and the plants are not at all rootbound. #3 pots these are (2.33 gallon). They were stuffed in next to the David Ramsey's, almost didn't notice them!

• hokierustywilliamsbu
    11 years ago

none here locally-have checked eastern Va. and can not find them......

• macgyver2009
    11 years ago

I picked up a Blue Cassel today. It does look a lot like Blaumeise... very pretty. I wonder how much sun it will tolerate. I'm running out of prime locations.

I also got a Pistachio and a Ruby Slippers. I didn't expect to like it, but I was surprised. That's it for this year, although the nursery is expecting some Tuff Stuff's next week.

• October_Gardens
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Wow, fertile centers on Pistachio flowers?? Neat! Which nursery was this at?

It looks like my Blue Cassel is showing mauve so far, subject to change in coming years.

I know how it feels to be running out of space. I can cut more beds, but not without a direction. But then there's the future new barn/shed project and the sitting area next to it, which will add about 500 sq. ft. of garden bed to my yard. I'm up to 65 hydrangeas now. My wife asked me "How many have you bought this year? 3?" And all I can say is "Uh, no...." I'm in some trouble now...

The plant world is great, though. If there's things we don't like anymore, we can always sell or give things away in the future. I think half of my perennials by volume were divided by friends and family due to overcrowding or simple dislike..

• macgyver2009
    11 years ago

Pistachio came from Ashcombe's in Mechanicsburg. One of my favorite garden centers, especially for hydrangeas. They usually have the newest introductions.

Wow...65 hydrangeas. Sounds wonderful. It must be incredible right now with many of them in bloom.

I wish I had another 500 sq. ft. of garden space. I'm squeezing everything in now and edging out the beds to make more space. I don't have enough shade and enough mature trees to help. Blue Cassel wilted terribly in just a small amount of sun. It was positioned in shade at the nursery. Hopefully next year it will do better.

I wonder if Pistachio can handle sun til 3. Gonna give it a try.

I agree...the plant world/nature is wonderful. I spend every minute I can in the back yard.

Good luck with the expansion!

• October_Gardens
    Original Author
    11 years ago

A followup on this one... Seems to be tough!

The thick stems survived a long winter with no problem, and so did the buds on them (as opposed to thick-stemmed cousins such as the double-flowering "Together" and "Doublicious"). I don't believe the plant had time to make terminal buds, but because of the remontancy, no matter. Speaking of that, there is also a fresh clump of new stems coming from the base. I'm eager to see if these can make it to 3' by Summer's end, providing there is enough rain.

So, that puts this one in a similar ballpark to Summer Lace and Twist N Shout (with serrata Tuff Stuff now also in the mix). I suppose it will just come down to which leaf color and growth habit you'd like better.

As for stringiness of the stems, from thickest to thinnest is:
    Blue Cassel
    Summer Lace
    Twist N Shout

(New stems on Summer lace can be as stringy as Twist N Shout's, but the old wood on Summer Lace becomes thicker much faster.)

• hokierustywilliamsbu
    10 years ago

cant find Blue Cassel here but Twist and Shout has become a huge plan in 2 years-5 feet tall and load with buds... despite of or because of the cool rainy Spring hydrangeas are all loaded-even Big Daddy!!!