Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wild Hydrangea's?

Posted by ashli GA. (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 2, 10 at 11:04

My DH came home yesterday from visiting his aunt in Alabama...She she had let him dig up several of what she called Hydrangeas, already in bloom...The bloom looks exactly like my Tardiva Hydrange blooms (Which have not bloomed yet this year)...but the leaves are an entirely different shape and much bigger. (Don't have pictures)
I ordered my Tardivas...
Are there such a thing as wild Hydrangeas? and are they an invasive plant? They are pretty, but I do not want them everywhere.
Thanks for any info.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wild Hydrangea's?

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 2, 10 at 11:37

Alabama native species are Smooth Hydrangea (Hydrangea arborescens) and Oakleaf Hydrangea (Hydrangea quercifolia). They are not invasive plants.

o

He probably brought home Oakleaf Hydrangea if you think it looks like Tardiva.

I'm sorry if you think that native plants are more likely to be invasive than any other plant. Most of the "invasive" plants you see in the wild are non-native plants that have naturalized (like Kudzu, privet and the yellow/white honeysuckle).

o

Thanks...I found pictures on the web and they look just like the Oakleaf Hydrangea.
Planting them in the background of a flower bed.

o

I have 3 of the 4 native species of Hydrangea, Oakleaf (H. quercifolia), Wild Hydrangea (H. arborescens), which is the parent of 'Annabelle' & a pink-flowering form of the Silverleaf Hydrangea (H. radiata).
All were grown from cuttings from wild plants or from a GNPS Rescue site (H. arborescens).

None have ever exhibited a tendency to become invasive (I wish they would, a teeny bit, so I wouldn't have to root them)!

Hydrangea paniculata (like your 'Tardiva') can potentially become an invasive plant. The "panics" have escaped cultivation and can be found in the wild all along the Eastern seaboard, from NC to ME and into Canada (ON).

o

"Hydrangea paniculata (like your 'Tardiva') can potentially become an invasive plant."

If last year I would of read such statement I would of jump of my chair :-)
Not this year- found a lot of seedlings in close vicinity to one of the Limelights. However, I'm not 100% sure that they are actualy seedlings or just self-rooted pieces and bits from the last year pruning.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here