Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tackysue_gw

Should I move them?

tackysue
13 years ago

I just purchased 2 "Nico Blue" hydrangeas from a nursery I respect and finally put them in the ground in what I want to be the perfect spot. But I'm questioning it. Every afternoon they are wilty and pathetic looking.

I've been reading and I guess that's normal in high heat situations (I'm in central FL and it's been ridiculously hot these last few weeks with no relief in sight). So I water them nearly every day but am making sure not to overwater. Their roots are "cool" but not watery. They are heavily mulched with pine mulch which helps. But they are still so wilty.

They do perk up every night looking perfectly happy in the mornings, which again, posters have said is normal if the problem is heat. But my biggest concern is that this repeated stress will kill the poor things.

The one that is the most wilty gets some pretty hot sun from about 1 until 3. There are a few leaves with what might be "sunburn" but not a ton of them. The other gets morning sun from 11 until 1. The rest of the time they are shaded by a small oak and a cluster of palm.

I do not want to move them. I love where they are. Visually, they are and will be perfect when they mature. But they were expensive and I don't want them to die or be stressed all the time. They're in the front of the house.

Should I just give them more time to "adapt" to their location? It's been about 3 weeks of me worrying.

Comments (4)