Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amac_gw

Is this Blushing Bride or Endless Summer Original?

amac
13 years ago

Today, I purchased 2 gigantic hydrangeas at at reputable nursery.

I was told that a customer had special ordered 3 "blue" hydrangeas. She didn't end up taking them because 2 of them were not blue enough. So, I bought the 2 "light blue" ones because I thought they were Blushing Brides. I did see the 3rd one and it definitely looked like an Endless Summer to me.

The two that I bought are labeled "Endless Summer, The Original" but they sure look like Blushing Brides to me. I hope they are.

Does anyone know if these are BB or ES? I just have never seen an ES so washed out.

I may end up going back for the 3rd hydrangea - they were just to gorgeous to pass up. They are about 3 to 4 ft. hight and very full.

Many thanks....

Oh, and this will be my first try at posting pictures so bare with me....

Here is a link that might be useful: Mystery hydrangeas

Comments (13)

• anele_gw
    13 years ago

Look like my BB. :)

• amac
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ok, I just couldn't pass up the 3rd hydrangea - so I went back and got it. It definitely looks like my older Endless Summer, already planted in my garden.

Is it possible that all 3 of these new ones are Endless Summer? I am really hoping the ones in my original post are Blushing Brides because I need them to go in a row with my other 5 BBs. If I plant the first two hydrangeas with them and they really are ES then I've made a big mess...

This one (ES) I have no idea what I'm going to do with it - but it was just too pretty to pass up. My kids are now calling me a hydrangea maniac!

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Also, how do I get my pictures to show up in the message without a link?

Take care,
    AMAC

Here is a link that might be useful:

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    13 years ago

Hi AMAC
    They look like Blushing Brides to me too, they can either blush to the blue side like yours or, they can blush to the pink side, depending on the soil. I have some BB cuttings that I rooted last summer and they have 2 large flowers and they appear to be just white so far, I'll have to take a closer look and see if I detect any blush.

I have my pictures in Picasa, most people use Photobucket, but if you use Picasa, maybe I can help you post pictures. It took me forever and ever to learn on the Amaryllis forum, and I was just making one small mistake every time, over and over again. I felt really clever when I finally mastered what everybody else was doing with their eyes closed!! Good Luck!!
    Donna

13 years ago

Sorry, AMAC, that wasn't very astute of me, obviously you are using Photobucket, maybe some one else can help you.

Donna

• amac
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Donna,

Thanks for the reply! I am going to try to take some cuttings of BB this year too. They are my favorite so far. I only have BB, ES and Glowing Embers though. Oh, and Limelights too.

How did you get the cuttings through the winter? That's the only thing I'm worried about.

Still crossing my fingers that the 2 are in fact Blushing Brides!

AMAC

• anele_gw
    13 years ago

I've turned into a hydrangea maniac myself.

I am mixing my BB and ES. Do you think that looks bad?

• amac
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Anele,

No, I don't think it looks bad to mix the hydrangeas....

I just have 5 BB in a sort of hedge row and I have space for 7. If I put 2 ES on the end of the row - it would be very weird. It's in a rectangular bed between the foundation of the house and the patio - you know - a confined space- surrounded on 4 sides with limestone. It would look like a big OOPS!

• anele_gw
    13 years ago

Wow-- I can't wait to see the end result. Sounds like a lovely plan!

I'm crossing my fingers they're BBs!

• wild_belief
    13 years ago

@AMAC:
    It's always good to have another hydrangea maniac around! My friends have taken to calling me "Hydrangeasaurus rex" as of late. Anyway, to get your photos to show up directly in your post, use the HTML code generated by photobucket underneath "share this image" next to your pic. Paste it directly into the text, and voilà !

It will look like a bunch of gobbledegook, but when you preview the message, the image itself will show up.
    Good luck!

• Laurel Zito
    13 years ago

Flikr is so much easier. All you do is upload and copy the url, and then post that in the add a link section. Photobucket is more work to select the html. I saw the photos, looked like Brushing Bride, then a huge add came with a photos of some celebrity, and coverd up the photos so I could not study them. Photobucket is good if you want to post inside your posting instead of as a link, but sometimes those photo are oversized in the posts. I have seen a lot of Brushing Brides in the nurseries this year, but I don't have space.

• hokierustywilliamsbu
    13 years ago

First 2 seem to be BB and the third an orginal Es....

13 years ago

Most of us have limited space so mixing the colors of hydrangeas is essential and very beautiful!! Better if they are all the same type Mopheads or such, but all of the shades of blue, pink, cream, and purple and now even almost real red are just breathtaking in a long hot summer, I call them bubble gum colors for the bright ones and pastels for the softer ones.

AMAC, as far as wintering over cuttings if you take them early enough, July and August they should have a large enough root system to be able to put them out in the yard with extra mulch thrown on for added protection. We do have a few cold frames that we used, but some of them got a little too happy early in the spring and sprouted and a late frost got them. They didn't come back from the roots either. But, I did so many of each variety that I had success with most of them. As for Blushing Bride, that particular one was a very vigorous grower and I have 4 cuttings that each have a full sized flower on them and when put together they just about form a full plant, next year for sure! Some people would tell you not to plant too many cuttings together, but with 4 or so cuttings you have in instant plant, thats what I do!! Don't hesitate to try cuttings of Blushing Bride you'll have great success I'm sure. I found that they actually root just as well with or without rooting hormone. Many of them set out roots above the hormone powder so this year I am trying a few new varieties with no hormone at all. Good Luck,

Donna

• sandykk
    13 years ago

BB is white like your picture. After they have been blooming for a while, they will have a tiny tinge of blue or pink. But no mistaking a BB for ES in my yard.