Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
medford_tom

Hydragea drooping / can't support flowers

Medford_Tom
10 years ago

Hello,

This hydrangea was put in this Spring and has flowered quite spectacularly, but the last week or so, it seems to have collapsed under the weight of its own flowers. I'm not sure if this picture quite gets across the extent of the issue, as each stem is weighed down to the ground. I've noticed at least one stem has split under the weight. I've increased watering, but i'm not sure if that's helping or not (or if I've increased enough). Any thoughts?

Thanks

Comments (5)

• luis_pr
    10 years ago

Newly planed shrubs are known to suffer from this issue. Sometimes the problem is caused by genetics, as in the case of Annabelle but other times, the plant is young and is made to bloom its head off so it will look attractive and be sold quickly. Try using stakeholders or put some chicken wire around the bush like you would use a belt... and tighten it around your shrub forcing the stems to straighten up.

As a safety check, make sure the soil is not low (or too high) in minerals like nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium; some plant nurseries sell a kit that can check for low/high levels of these minerals.

The obvious can also work for a while as well: deadhead some of the blooms, especially when a you have more than one bloom per stem. At this young point in its life, it is best to develop a good root system than more blooms.

Rain can also add to the weight of blooms and cause stems to bend and collapse so, some protection from rain can also help... until the stems get stronger but, remove said protection if the weather gets drier. I would also make sure that you water the soil and not the leaves or the blooms.

Does some of those suggestions help you?
    Luis

• Medford_Tom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, thank you so much for the detailed response. It's incredibly helpful.

I will have to get the kit to test the soil, so I can't answer that question. On watering, recently - on someone's advice - I've been leaving the hose right by the roots on low for several minutes, getting the soil good and drenched. I do this every 1-2 days, but the plant still seems parched (we've had very hot weather and it's in the sun for a large portion of the day). Can I up the watering?

I took your advice and deadheaded some of the flowers. I also improvised a stakeholder to get all the branched off the ground. An amateur job to be sure, but hopefully this is close to what you envisioned.

Thanks!!

• luis_pr
    10 years ago

Sounds like you are also dealing wity transplant shock and too much sun. During the first two or three summers, newly planted hydrangeas tend to suffer because their roots system was cut to fit on the pot and are being asked to bloom their heads off so they get sold quickly.

Do not be surprised by signs of leaf/bloom wilting & sings of needing more water starting as summer arrives. Most hydrangeas will wilt often on their first few summers but will recover by the next morning. These wilting episodes should be reduced as the plant becomes acclimated to your garden and grows a bigger root system. They will not away completely but hopefully will occur only during the worst of the summer months.

If you see wilting episodes, try not to panic. If the episode looks extreme, immediately give the plant 1/2 gallon of water. Otherwise test the soil first and water if moisture is needed: insert a finger into the soil to a depth of 4" (not counting the mulch). If it feels moist or wet, the plant should recover on its own by next morning. If it feels almost dry or dry, give the plant 1/2 gallon of water. During regular waterings (early in the mornings - say 6am), apply 1 gallon of water to the soil. Watering notes: if your soil is sandy, increase the amounts by 50%; maintain 3-4" of mulch at all times to conserve moisture and reduce the number of days between waterings.

As long as your soil drains well, you can water more than normal in the summer. But you do not want to make a habit of watering "too much" because the roots can develop root rot and the plant could die. The finger method can help you tell if it is ok to water.

A good way to tell when to water is to use the soil finger method daily for 2-3 weeks. Test the soil daily, early in the mornings. If the soil feels dry or almost dry, apply 1 gallon of water from the crown outwards to the drip line or beyond. Water the soil and not the leaves or blooms. Make a note on a wall calendar whenever you water. After 2-3 weeks, review the notes on the wall calendar and determine, on average, how often you had to water (say every 3 days, every 4 days, etc). Then set the sprinkler to water 1 gallon of water on that same frequency of days. If the temperatures change up/down 10-15 degrees and stay there, retest with the finger method for another 2-3 weeks to see if you need to tweak things.

The shrub should also get some relief from the sun in the afternoons. Hydrangeas in the South are especially prone to too much sun and will do best if they get morning sun and afternoon shade. Consider transplanting it or protecting it with 35% shade cloth or some structure/shrub if you want to keep it there. Blooms exposed to too much sun can eventually brown out.

Luis

• Medford_Tom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Luis,
    Thanks for the advice. I will keep track of the watering and see how that goes.

• mommomsgarden
    10 years ago

Mine are dropping too! The one next to it not so much! Take a look

Sponsored
HEMAX Construction Services & Landscaping, LLC
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Landscape Contractors Servicing VA