Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loisthegardener_nc7b

Poor Preziosa

This is its first year, and it gets sun from about 3 until dusk. The flowers are browning instead of turning that nifty dark red. Should I consider moving it next year? Or will it tolerate sun better when it gets more established? Sorry to be such a worrywart about this, I didn't expect it to get this bad and I want it to be happy. It has a thick layer of mulch and the soil underneath is damp and cool.

{{gwi:1005044}}

Comments (3)

• madeyna
    13 years ago

Well that sucks. Mine is just a baby so I don,t have much exp. with Preziosa to share but if it was mine I would move it to somewhere it will get morning sun and evening shade.

• ladywindsurfer
    13 years ago

I have a 'Preziosa' in an almost identical location in my garden, with maybe a couple more hours of afternoon sun and it's doing fine. One of my oldest Hydrangeas and has been in that location for about 20 years.

It will require 1-2 years for the roots to become established and irrigation requirements to taper off.
    Check it in the morning, if foliage indicates wilt, add 1-2 gal of water to the root zone. Don't overwater it, which can encourage fungal growth, known as "root rot" and sudden death. (there is no cure).

As a hybrid of serrata & mac, it is probably slightly more cold hardy than the big leaf macs, but would probably need winter protection, at least for a few years. I don't notice as much winter dieback on it, as on nearby macs.
    Pay particular attention to winter moisture requirements, until it becomes well established. If you have a dry winter, it's a good idea to add water regularly, if no snow pack or the ground isn't frozen.

Best of luck!

BTW, I once had two 'Preziosa's, but one developed a powdery mildew problem, that defied all control measures and was destroyed. It was the only one in my garden, that contains more than 200 of 10 species of Hydrangeas, that has ever developed PM.

• loisthegardener_nc7b
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, I will try to be patient.... There is a large preziosa on my walking route that is in full bloom right now; it's covered in pink, lavender and cream flower clusters. I am hoping, hoping that mine will look like that too, someday!

There are only 3 flower clusters on mine that do not have significant crispiness, so I decided to cut off the crispy flowers so the shrub won't have to keep trying to supply them with water. I put a chair and big flower pot in front of it to block the worst of the sun just so I can see what the remaining flowers do this year. So far, they are getting freckles like their owner.

If I had planted a larger version of preziosa (with more roots), would it still have crispy flowers?

Sponsored
Trish Takacs Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars36 Reviews
Award Winning & Highly Skilled Kitchen & Bath Designer in Columbus