Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Climbing hydrangea won't bloom

Posted by bmiller 7 (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 22, 05 at 12:31

I purchased a climbing hydrangea 3 years ago. The plant is thriving (has grown from 1 foot to over 3 1/2 feet tall with sprawling foliage) but has not yet bloomed. Someone told me I had to nourish the plant with epsom salts. Is this right? Is there some other magic ingredient? When is the best time to feed this plant and when can I expect to see blooms?
Beth

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Climbing hydrangea won't bloom

Beth,

No magic pill.....Climbing Hydrangea (Anomalas Petiolaris) is famous for being a slow starter and even slower bloomer. Many people wait over 5 yrs for blooms. Once it finally takes off, you will not regret the wait.....yg

o

Ah Ha!!! So that's what that pot full of sticks has been doing for the past 3 years. It's waiting. For hell to freeze over???

Andrea

o

Andrea, that 'pot full of sticks' is not suitable for container growth. Unless you have it in a 100G+ pot where root system could grow large enough to support 20'+ vine.
If yours is in a pot for the last 3 years roots are extremely pot bound and overall health of the plant is in danger.

o

Mine is blooming for the first time after about 5 years in the ground. It's climbing up a fir tree and is about 15 feet long (tall?).

o

boy am i glad i jumped over here from the hosta forum!! i was just formulating the exact same question as beth. and now i know the answer! this is also the 3rd season for mine and nary a bud to be found but everything else is so healthy looking. i have to say mine hasn't grown much taller. but it's a lot wider and fuller looking...growing up the trunk of a spruce tree. so thanks to all for asking and answering the question!
white violet

o

I keep hearing too that they don't like to bloom until they hit the top of whatever they're growing up the side of. So if they're growing up a wall or the side of your house, they don't like to bloom till they hit the top, then something tells them "okay I can quite climbing now, I'll think I'll bloom."

I keep hearing this from growers but wonder if it's really all that true?

o

Creech444,

I don't think I buy that theory. Mine had a bloom (a fluke I know) this spring on a branch that was just sticking out and not climbing anywhere on a small plant. This plant can grow indefinately so according to that theory, they would never bloom........yg

o

The branches that are held horizontally off the plant are the ones that bloom.

o

Creech444 - not true :-) Mine is growing up a 100+ foot Doug fir and is nowhere near the top and blooms vigorously. As happyhoe has pointed out, short laterals extending from the climbing stems bear flowers. They do take time to establish and mature to blooming size but well worth the wait.

o

we have one that has to be 20 feet up a red Oak and still going and is full of blossoms. Interesting it only hugs the north side of the oak. The one on our front porch took 3 years before blooming

o

Wow, I didn't know I would have to wait so long to see blooms. I planted one this year. It is growing and attaching well, but now is only five feet up the oak tree. Does anyone know what the lowest temperature it will take and still live. What type of mulch it will need, etc.

o

This particular hydrangea is about 10-11' tall and 6'+ wide.
It is in a ground for 7-8 years now and could of be much higher if owner (no, it's not my garden) wouldn't cut portion of the top growth every other year in order to promote side (blooming) growth:

o

can anyone id the vines growing up the trellis by the climbing hydrangea? what about the pyramidal evergreen? thanks!

o

BTW it's not true that climbing hydrangea can't thrive in a pot. It definitely can if the pot (or other container) is a big one. I live in Manhattan, I have one, and there are maybe half a dozen others just within a few blocks, and they're all doing fine. They won't get so big, but here you wouldn't want them so big here, would you?

o

I have had mine for about a year and a half and one is blooming and the other one has brown ends and is not blooming... this particular one, the one that isnt blooming is surrounded by Hosta, would this be the cause of the lack of blooms?????????????/

o
Transplanting Climbing Hydrangea

Thank God I found this forum! I have two climbing hydrangeas that have been growing in boxes for 3 full summers climbing a trellis. I apparently need to get them out of there because they are way too small. Is there any way to transplant it from the boxes and save the plant and the trellis?

o

I think I have the same issue as the other Beth. But my hydrangea seems to be covered in deadheads, without ever having bloomed this year. I planted it last year, while it was in full bloom. It has grown quite a bit since last year, and all the deadheads are new growth. Is the answer the same? Do I just need to give it another year or two?

Here is a link that might be useful: photos of my climbing hydrangea

o
RE: Climbing hydrangea won't bloom (photos)

I just figured out how to put the photo directly in the post so you don't have to follow the link in my last post.

br

o

well, mine has been in the ground for around 10 years !!!! It is 30 ft up a pine tree, and still no blooms. But the good news is this is the first yr, that I have lateral branches, so maybe it will bloom ????????? I can always hope. I have great patience. I waited for a purple wisteria ,that I grew from seed, for over 10 years to flower, And boy was it worth it.

o

I purchased a climbing hydrangea on a sale table two years ago. It was in poor condition but the price was right. I overwintered it in my cool greenhouse, then planted out the following spring. It didn't do much other than put on a few leaves. This spring it began to leaf out nicely and about a month ago it looked like this.

Now, it has also put up new runners on the brick, some being 15-16 inches long and is already putting out new side growth on the new runners, as seen in the second photo taken yesterday. The wall it is on is N-NE and is bright/high shade most of the growing season.

Because of all the helpful information I've gotten from GardenWeb, I knew it would be slow to establish but I have to say I'm pleasantly surprised at the amount of growth it's put on this spring. I've never seen one in a garden so I'm really looking forward to seeing a real bloom someday. This plant has interestng bark and the leaves turn a most perfect shade of yellow in the fall.

An excellent all season plant for the garden! When it becomes established, you will be so happy you planted it.

Mary

o

I have established a hydrangea vine from the ground on a 6' trellis against a stone wall of the house near my garage door to soften and provide some greenery there. It hasn't bloomed in about 4 years or so, but it is growing vigorously and sending leaders in all directions from the trellis and attaching to the sandstone of the house. I understand they do well in shady conditions but it is now reaching into the sunlit portion of the house. Will this affect blooming? I have been patient and will continue to be.

o

No, once it reaches the top of whatever they are climbing, they tend to start blooming more than before. That usually means the top of a building, top of a tree or the top or end of a fence.

o

I planted a climbing hydrangea last Spring and it has grown profusely and is climbing. I live in Philadelphia, PA and it gets a western exposure - I live on5 feet the east side of the street. It is climbing up the north side of a wall. The part of the plants on the ground are blooming well, but there are no blooms on the wall. The length of the wall is 5 feet and the plants have reached the top. Why should this happen?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here