Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
william7b

macrophyla for Atlanta sun?

william7b
12 years ago

I know this gets asked all the time, but I'm getting pressure to move my Pee Gees out of the full sun perennial bed that's the center of my garden and move in something that looks like my partially shaded Nikkos (she wants blue where the Pee Gees are) I know better, but is there a blue macro like Nikko that will handle Atlanta sun all day? Bed is good soil and gets watered whenever I weaken and turn the irrigation on.

Comments (3)

• luis_pr
    12 years ago

Macrophyllas' leaves are more sensitive to the sun than paniculatas' leaves are. Here in the Dallas area (Dallas and Atlanta are approx in the same latitude), Macrophyllas' leaves suffer from sunscorch during the height of the summer if allowed to get sun past 11am-12pm (that is, the leaves turn all yellow, including the leaf veins). Glyn Church recommends these for sunnier places but these too require protection from the afternoon summer sun: Altona, Ayesha, Blue Wave, Lilacina. In the northern half of the country, macrophyllas can withstand more sun than they do here.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    12 years ago

Even in the rather northerly reaches of the PNW with our not very intense summer sun, H. macrophylla planted in full sun suffers - daily wilting, leaf scorch, bleached out foliage color and more stunted growth than those that receive at least some afternoon shade relief.

I'm not sure I'd chance it :-)

• lsimms
    12 years ago

Good question. When ES first came out I heard folks were putting them out in full sun with no problem. Not for me, I moved mine into full sun and eventually had to spend a summer with beach umbrellas in my front yard to shade them. Can't believe I never took a pic. One passerby thot it was "art." lol. Moved them to shadier locales the next year.

Good luck.