Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alisande_gw

Hydrangea vandalism

alisande
13 years ago

I witnessed some hydrangea vandalism yesterday. We have some beautiful white hydrangeas on the campus where I workÂpossibly Annabelle, but I'm not sure. Yesterday some young teenagers came along and pulled all the flowers off! They were doing skateboarding tricks, and attached the flowers to the railing of stairs they were jumping down. It looked like wedding decorations. A campus cop came by and spoke to them, and they put the flowers back in the plant. (Good luck with that.)

Are they likely to bloom again this year?

Comments (6)

• anele_gw
    13 years ago

Awww! :(

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    13 years ago

Next year.

I have never understood the compulsion some passerbys feel to pick pretty flowers when they walk by. In most cases, they are not planning on putting them in vases even. They see a pretty flower, want it, and pick it--and then let it wilt. So strange.

Kate

• ladywindsurfer
    13 years ago

Seems to be am epidemic this year!
    I lost all of my blooming Daffodils from one section of the garden to a youngster that just wanted "some pretty flowers" for a vase at home. The family had all flowering plants, shrubbery & trees removed from their property, very soon after moving in.
    Other case was of a JD on a bicycle, stripping the blooms off of my Hydrangeas and scattering them up and down the street. Didn't observe him in the act, but his playmates, "Ratted him out". Same scenario for that property.
    Contacts with the single parent of each perp, was like "whispering into a hurricane", until I got to the part about my next call being directed to the office of Family Services, with a complaint regarding unsupervised, underage children, at home alone, while the parent was at work. They suddenly were very attentive and concerned!
    No problems since then and the youngsters give my garden a wide berth!
    I don't enjoy being "that old witch up on the corner", but gardening is my passion and having the ONLY flower garden in a neighborhood of more than 100 families, should not make me a target, either!

• ostrich
    13 years ago

This is so sad! The youngsters today.... so many of them have no respect or consideration for other people! And their parents just don't even seem to care.... SAD! Sigh....

• georgia-rose
    13 years ago

You can't blame all of the vandalism on the youngsters, I found to my dismay!
    Late yesterday afternoon, I found a stranger, a middle-aged female, in my garden, ripping flowers off a late-blooming 'Sister Theresa'.
    I can't relate here, the words I used to redress the woman, but I certainly will have to ask the Almighty for forgiveness!
    Makes you wonder, if the children of today, are just emulating the actions of their parent(s)?

• melaroma
    13 years ago

Do they not understand that it is private property? I felt bad when I said something after my front door kid got into my bed to whack my flowers with his toy sword, trampling my plants in the process, and the parent who was right there talking to me, didn't say anything. She must have thought I was insane for saying it and yet she is always commenting to others that I am always working in my garden and that it looks lovely. Seriously, do people think?