Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenlady48_gw

Need Good 'BLUE' suggestion....

gardenlady48
13 years ago

Can someone PLEASE tell me which variety is the bluest, blooms on old & new and gets to 4-5'? I live in central illinois......my NB's are so unreliable...I have 2 bey my entry way and one is looking really good without last years protection over winter, but with all amending still not as blue as I want! My ES under the pin oak are gorgeous! Just wondering which varieties take well to amending. I think next year I will plant something different and try some aluminum can/nails in the bottom of the hole. (which I just read about)....

TIA

Comments (6)

• luis_pr
    13 years ago

Hello, gardenlady48. Nikko Blues are usually suggested for good blues. Others are Marecal Foch and Enziandom. Have you tested the pH of your soil in these two distinct locations? I am curious what this would show and if you have an uphill battle due to very alkaline soil AND alkaline water. What amendments do you apply? How often do you apply them and how much do you apply? Is that what the label directions call for in term of application frequency and amount per application? Be careful putting nails anywhere in the garden; they can hurt if you do not remember where they are! You would be better off just using aluminum sulfate on a scheduled frequency throughout the growing season (you can stop when the ground freezes).

• madeyna
    13 years ago

I have ffblue it recommended to me by several people last year but it hasn,t bloomed yet this year. I got it as a tiny baby last fall with no blooms on it so I am keeping my fingers crossed that its a nice deep blue. Its tripled in size since I got it so I at least know its a good grower.I will post a picture of it as soon as it blooms.

• sue36
    13 years ago

I wouldn't bother with Nikko in zone 5 unless you have a very protected area. They rarely bloom (they bloom on old wood). There is one near me that blooms beautifully, but it is in a courtyard completely surrounded by brick, tucked into an inside building corner also made of brick.

• hydrangeasnohio
    13 years ago

The Endless Summer is very reliable along with the Blue Heaven by Forever and Ever. The Blue Heaven has larger blooms and is more upright than the Endless Summer.

• gardenlady48
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Madeyna- Not sure what you mean by 'ffblue' hydrangea? could you spell that out for me? thanks

• hydrangeasnohio
    13 years ago

Here is a pic of My Blue Heaven bloom today.