Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ronlarimer_zone7

Red Stemmed Hydrangeas

ronlarimer_zone7
15 years ago

I know that Lady in Red and Quick fire are both red stemmed. Are there any others?

Comments (9)

• luis_pr
    15 years ago

I do not have this one but doesn't Pinky Winky have red stems too?

• ostrich
    15 years ago

ronlarimer, my Quick Fire, Pinky Winky and Little Lamb have red stems when they first appear. Then as the stems age, the red colors sort of fades and become more green.

• ego45
    15 years ago

I'd second Preziosa for the red stems and leaves petioles, especialy if grown in considerable sun position.

• hokierustywilliamsbu
    15 years ago

also Oregon Pride is a good red stem

• WendyB 5A/MA
    15 years ago

does the red stem depend on sunlight or something? I saw 'Quickfire' at a garden center and the stems were gorgeous. My Quickfire does not have red stems. Old stems are brown and new growth is green. :-( I sure hope I didn't get a mislabelled plant.

Mine gets some filtered afternoon sun. This is 3rd year from a small pot. Handful of blooms last year. Lotsa buds now.

• luis_pr
    15 years ago

I hope so too. I have only seen commercial pictures of the shrub and it always appears with dark or red stems in the photos.

Here is a link that might be useful: Example of Commercial Quickfire Photo with dark stems

• ego45
    15 years ago

I think you are right on a spot- sun exposure makes a difference.
    Both of mine got red to redish new stems and leaves petioles which turns into pleasant dark green at the time of bloom, though since it continue to produce new growth during the season something red is always present.
    Sun exposure: #1 from 11 till 1pm and from 4 pm till dusk.
    #2 from 2pm till sunset.
    When my Lady in Red were in eastern exposure with 3 to 4 hours of morning sun there were minimal red-ness in a stems and leaves. As soon as they were relocated in bed where QF#1 resides red become much more prominent.

• ditas
    15 years ago

Hi - I'm going to butt in, on your technical discussion of redness, of H's stems, petioles & even leaf veins if you don't mind - a very personal observations on my few (this sent me running out there for closer look! LOL)

On paniculatas - LL & QF sitting next to each other in f/s have similar shade of redness (rosy pink, really) - petioles on QF has same shade of redness whereas LL has baby green. PD also has similar shade w/ light green petioles tho stems mature even redder than either LL & QF. AB has not a hint of pinkness what so ever - but she is new this season.

Tardiva - both in f/s win the redness contest in my piece of soil - even the hefty center, maturing woods are reddish brown ... young tips start baby-green then matures to red. T (NW f/s) a ft taller & larger all around, is less red than T (SE f/s).

Among my serratas - all in dappled/sun- part/shade: (Dr Dirr's - Majestics) MD, is absolutely magnificent - deep red wine stems & petioles - looser & leggier for better appreciation! (has 12 flwr buds now - can't wait <:->The 3 Big Smile H.s has speckled merlot stems, petioles & veins - tighter but slimmer legs (tons of flwr buds now & starting their show!!!). One that gets a bit more AM sun has a bit of edge on redness.

MyM's - stems start baby-green & mature to brownish-red stems & petioles (after relocated in May, still just a ft tall but fuller (2.5' wd) now & 12 buds starting to open in succession - perhaps developing more)!

Blue Frost - is simply green but leaves has a hint of redness around the edges.

Sun exposure may be a factor on those sun tolerants but may not make a much diff on the serratas - IMHO!

Sponsored
Koura Remodeling
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Virginia's Top Choice for Reliable General Contractors