Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question about overwintering in pots

Posted by joannemb (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 16, 12 at 14:26

For those of you who have overwintered your hydrangeas in pots, I have a question:
I have 4 white out F&E's that I had in pots last Summer, and overwintered in my garage. I brought them back out and they are blooming like crazy. They are getting a bit big though..... How do I know when they have outgrown their container? I have them in a large 12 inch pots. White out is supposed to get 2 ft. x 2ft. Do you think I can keep them in this size indefinitely? (I'd like to!) If so, how many years can I go with the same soil? This will be their second season, so I am thinking I should add completely new soil..... But should I do this before I put them away for the winter, or when I take them out next Spring? Also, when is the best time to prune them down to control their size---they are the re-blooming type. Thanks so much!
Joanne

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question about overwintering in pots

That potting size is quite small, I am afraid. Glyn Church in her book Hydrangeas recommends a starting pot size of 20 inches across. If you notice that the roots are circling or growing out thru the bottom holes, it is time to go on size bigger and add new soil.

o

I overwinter hydrangeas in large pots on the sidewalk in front of my house. The first, big one immediately below will need to be divided or planted in the ground in a year or so, when it outgrows the pot. The small hydrangea in the bottom photo probably has a good three or four years before it outgrows its container.

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Sun, Jun 17, 12 at 10:49

Joanne, the recommendation from Dan Hinkley for those growing in coldest climates is use a 15-25 gal pot with a bark-based soilless medium, move into unheated garage only during the coldest weeks. Replace the growing medium every three years.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here