Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
theplayer

Everlasting series

theplayer
9 years ago

I'm a grower in RI and tried the Everlasting series this year.

Revolution is loaded with buds, slow growing, but impressive.

Garnet is also a heavy bloomer.
Harmony also loaded with buds.
Opal, Coral some buds, but not nearly as many.
Ocean is budding later and has a good bud count. Strong grower.
Noblesse, decent dud count and strong grower.
Amethyst, decent bud count, fast grower.

IMO, Revolution is fantastic, followed by Garnet and Harmony.

1st 2 pics are Revolution, 3rd is Garnet. More to come later on.

Comments (29)

• theplayer
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Garnet

• luis_pr
    9 years ago

Revolution looks like it would be nice in an all yellow flower arrangement (at least at the beginning)

• October_Gardens
    9 years ago

The Everlasting line does look great so far, but there is the question of which plant is capable of what? Which would be the heaviest bloomer in northern climates, and which would be most likely to produce blooms on new wood?

I overwintered Opal and Harmony in-ground with no protection. They have since grown to 2-3' and there are zero flower buds.

No retailers around me have carried Jade, Noblesse, Coral, so I haven't played with them.

I must say IF and only if Garnet is capable of blooming reliably after dying to the ground (mine is in year one in ground), it would be a standout that would easily blow Merritt's, F&E Red, Masja, Glowing Embers etc. out of the water.
    Do you have a shot of Amethyst coming into bloom? I bought one but it's looking a lot like Opal.

Thanks for sharing your pictures, and do continue!

• theplayer
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Amethyst is still in bud. I hope to post pics of all varieties as they hit bloom, unless I sell out first..LOL Everything is way behind here in RI. These where in a greenhouse covered with winter fabric and still just starting to show color.
    It appears Revolution definitely blooms on new wood.

• hokierustywilliamsbu
    9 years ago

Are any yet in the big boxes? Local nurseries do not re-order in summers heat.ES gal. can be had for $5 now around here on closeout.

• October_Gardens
    9 years ago

Far as I know, growers have only been able to keep up with first-year's orders anyhow. Yet, this pains me as some more obscure specimens like Haas Halo (a new lacecap version of Incrediball) are still sitting idle at the growers waiting to be ordered. In other words, I can't get it!

Big-box availability seems to come down to which local grower grows what. Because big-boxes (due to logistical reasons and plant survivability) only tend to order locally/regionally. Lucky for me, I've been able to rack up 6 Everlastings that were all grown by Willoway Nurseries in Ohio because three local nurseries order from them. Green Circle Growers has also grown a few Everlastings and sold them intermittently at Home Depot. Most recently, Revolution snuck into the middle of an ensemble $50 perennial container at HD. They quickly sold out.

But I figured the plants in the above pics were grown in a greenhouse protected environment. And yep, Revolution does seem to have the best reputation in the series so far. We'll see how the others do. I'm already sure they'll easily lead the container market.

• vasue VA
    9 years ago

Springwood, now you have me wondering if the mixed container at Lowes, centered by a no-name hydrangea unfamiliar to me, might be supplied by the same grower & be identical to the one you saw at HD? Closest HD to me is 25 miles away, so seldom get over there.

Looking at these pics, suspect the no-identity noid in those Lowe's planters is Revolution. Read over the tag & no mention of named cultivars. The hydrangea looked to be a gallon size. No price tag or price displayed with these mixed containers, figured it would likely be $40 or more, wasn't interested in the companions with it, shrugged & went on. If it is Revolution, pretty much a waste of this one to not tout it on the tag! (Maybe somebody goofed up by using a highly publicized variety by mistake?) Don't recall ever seeing a hydrangea in a mixed patio pot in the past. Possibly because they haven't much been the logical size for that before these smaller stature plants? Haven't encountered Revolution locally, but then haven't visited all the possible sales points in even a 25-mile radius actively seeking it out. Still keeping an eye out for it, though, as reputed old & new wood reblooming capacity zoomed to the top of my list of criteria for new purchases after the brunt of last Winter.

• October_Gardens
    9 years ago

I saw some of those mixed ones at Lowe's and it looked like the one in the middle of them was the bi-colored Mars. Not to say the one you saw wasn't Revolution, because they might've used different kinds. I did get a Mars by itself and made my own container with petunias on either side of it.

Same general look as the ones with Revolution though. I anyone's looking for the mixed containers, they're circular and about 12"+ deep and at least 24" in diamater.

• theplayer
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Harmony

• theplayer
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ocean

• livreosa
    9 years ago

I have two tiny (received in 4 inch pots in April) Everlasting Revolutions-- both in full sun. The one that gets a few hours less of sun (doesn't get morning sun) is doing better, unsurprisingly, but they are both doing quite well, and both sprouted broccoli (I removed the broccoli from the plant in the sunnier location-- given the situation, I believe it needs to grow more before it should bloom).

I spread Holly-tone around the hydrangeas I planted about a month ago (we have basic soil and basic water in my area), and the pistachio I planted in ground at the same time as the revolutions is showing definite signs of iron chlorosis-- not surprising, I guess, since I haven't been acidifying the water and we've been getting very little rain in the past few weeks, so I've had to water regularly). I know it's going to take at least 3-6 months for the sulfur in holly tone to drop the pH, so I've been misting the foliage (I think I'm going to go for once a week, but maybe twice a week till the new growth isn't so yellow) with Foliage Pro to increase micronutrient availability until the pH of the soil starts to drop.

It seems like the revolutions are more resistant to the signs of the iron chlorosis, at least, but the pistachio is growing only foliage, while the revolutions have been predominantly popping out broccoli, so that might be why.

Here's a picture of my happier revolution (I'd estimate it's about 8 inches wide now-- the scale of the plant is smaller than you'd expect).

• livreosa
    9 years ago

And here's the first cluster that is currently opening on that plant (you can see a section of it in the first picture, at 3 o'clock on the plant). The blooms are small, in scale with the size of the plant, but beautiful. Some buds in the cluster are still opening, while some of the older blooms in the same group are starting to get a green tinge at the edge of the petals.

I'm so excited to see these get bigger! I'm really impressed by how well they've done so far. Of course, winter will be the next test.

• October_Gardens
    9 years ago

Good news! This week Home Depot has Revolution and Jade in #3 pots for a mere $12.49. Unbeatable.

Meanwhile, here's how my recent purchases are doing:

Garnet:

Ocean:

• theplayer
    Original Author
    9 years ago

wow didn't realize ocean got so blue. I should have sulfated more.

• October_Gardens
    9 years ago

Yep! Ocean starts almost white/yellow and then goes to what I'd best describe as a "lavender" with a strong hint of blue (in my soil). Then, right afterward, the bloom ages to a dusty lemon yellow (see spent bloom at bottom of picture). I think the final stage is celery green.

I didn't know what at all to expect because often plants end up looking less like the photos than you expect.

Comparing this with the new intro from Ball called 'Almost Heaven' I'd venture to guess these are the same plant.

• illinois_john
    9 years ago

I planted two revolutions last spring, they held the same flowers for nearly the full summer.

After the difficult winter with no protection, the foliage looks great, but there are no signs of flowers.

I'll I've them a few years (I'm too lazy to cover with leaves) to see what they do.

• theplayer
    Original Author
    9 years ago

amethyst

• October_Gardens
    9 years ago

Recently one of the co-CEOs of Plants Nouveau posted on Facebook about their exhibit at a convention that was held recently. Mr Kolster from the Netherlands was there and she said for people to come and ask him questions. I asked if someone could ask him which are capable of blooming on new wood - and I received no response.

• echinaceamaniac
    9 years ago

I don't like the green tint in the flowers. Why are people wanting them to have green flowers? These look no better than 'Pistachio.' In fact, I think 'Pistachio' has much better color.

This post was edited by echinaceamaniac on Thu, Jul 17, 14 at 8:47

• hc mcdole
    9 years ago

Maybe those are aging flowers... I kind of like them but to each their own.

• garden1830
    9 years ago

Has anyone had experience with Revolution blooming on new wood?

• starlight99
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Yes! My Revolution came back from the ground last year (I'm in Zone 5 Canada). However I was only getting about 3 blooms since it was a very young plant planted the fall before. Oh....also my blooms didn't come until mid-end of August though! (It was planted in a very shady spot with only about 1 hour of direct morning sun....bright shade until about 1 pm....and about 3 feet away from a giant spruce....so that might have delayed its growth?

• October_Gardens
    9 years ago

Hydrangeas should not be planted so close to pine trees if you can avoid it.

• Keely Line z8a north texas
    7 years ago

I found these at my local Mexican grocer, Fiesta. Everlasting Garnet and Ocean. I was beyond excited!

• nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis
    7 years ago

Gorgeous..you bought those today?..where do you live?

• Keely Line z8a north texas
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Nicholsworth, I live in north Texas. And yes, today! They were in the gift type cellophane.

• nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis
    7 years ago

my climate is colder and most macrophylla hydrangeas don't bloom here (makes me sad)..did you already have other hydrangeas?..hope they do well for you..

• luis_pr
    7 years ago

A good buy and now is a good time to plant them.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting