Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
umub

blue danube hydrangea and full sun

ubee
9 years ago

I was just wondering if anyone in the Zone 7 and above has ever planted blue danube hydrangea in full sun? I was told this hydrangea can tolerate full sun so any help would be appreciated. The front of the house get about good 8 hrs of sun in summer. Also if people can just post picture of their blue danube for show and tell is possible

Comments (14)

• ubee
    Original Author
    9 years ago

picture of front house where i am looking to plant them between the boxwoods

thanks

• hc mcdole
    9 years ago

Proceed at your own peril. I think most threads have been advising against full sun for macrophylla. You'd be a lot safer planting a dwarf(ish) paniculata in full sun. I'm sure there are folks who do plant macrophylla in full sun but they often look scorched and "unhappy".

• vasue VA
    9 years ago

Androidmom (great name!) your chances of doing so successfully may depend on which direction that location faces - whether you're talking morning or afternoon sun - and whether you're willing & able to provide plenty of water, often, for at least the first few years. An easterly exposure would be kindlier in that much sun. The brick of the house likely will absorb the sun's heat & bounce it out to make the site hotter. If the hydrangeas' leaves can grow in thickly enough & early enough in the Spring, they may block the brick from the sun before the sun becomes intense.

Not familiar with Blue Danube myself, not having grown it, but it is certainly beautiful & would be lovely blooming there. Do you expect your boxwoods to grow larger over time, or are they a small variety? You've probably already considered mature sizes of both, but just in case you haven't, good idea to look into the future. I've seen recommendations ranging from shade to full sun on this one, too. In my book, it all comes down to where & how much sun, which is seldom mentioned.

You might experiment to find out for yourself in your garden in that position, by leaving them in pots (sunk into the soil or sitting atop) & observing how they react to that exposure as the season heats up. Often do that here in central Virginia near Charlottesville, planting around early September if the plants' response reads good to go. (Rather hot now till then to transplant hydrangeas. Can be done successfully, but tougher on the plants.) You should know fairly soon if they'll be happy there with this method. If they're unhappy, much easier to consider another place for them without having to set them back by digging up & transplanting. Are these gallon plants or a larger size? Older more mature plants can often take more sun than their younger versions.

• October_Gardens
    9 years ago

If you planted right against the foundation where there is a little shade I don't foresee an issue.

Also, those are Kurt Weiss hydrangeas from Lowe's so they might not be Blue Danube. Check the soil line around the rim for additional identification tags.

• October_Gardens
    9 years ago

If you planted right against the foundation where there is a little shade I don't foresee an issue.

Also, those are Kurt Weiss hydrangeas from Lowe's so they might not be Blue Danube. Check the soil line around the rim for additional identification tags.

• hokierustywilliamsbu
    9 years ago

Afternoon shade is best and Springwood is right-with
    Lowes or HD hydrangea is frequently mislabeled so who knows.....

• sandyl
    9 years ago

blue danube.!!! I am seeing Pink, or am i color blind? Went back and looked at the picture 3 times, still pink!!! Its pretty tho.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    9 years ago

I wouldn't recommend full sun for ANY macrophylla. Even in my climate where summers are very cool and the northerly sun less intense that pretty much anywhere else in the US, bigleaf hydrangeas do not do well in a full sun location.

And Blue Danube is very easily influenced by soil pH. Flowers will be a dark intense blue in acidic soil and a deep pink (as in the photo) in a neutral to alkaline soil. But I too would never bet on the accuracy of labeled plant from HD or Lowes.......

• ubee
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for all the great advises, I also took Vasue advise and place the potted flowers in the areas that i wanted to plant them, and yes they were not happy. So i have decided to plant them under my large pine trees where i get about 4 hours of sun light. Hope they would love this shaded area. As for the reminder that these plant might be mislabel, I would just have wait to see them re-bloom for next year.

• hokierustywilliamsbu
    9 years ago

Much better location. They thrive here in Tidewater under pines. Also not good near a door as not attractive in winter as just sticks.

• vasue VA
    9 years ago

Androidmom, your beds under the pines look ideal for them - great choice! Expect they'll thrive there, adding height & grace & color for many years to come. You can plant them out any time in such a location, without waiting for the weather to cool down. Keep them watered well & use your supply of fallen pine needles as mulch & they should settle in well. Juryrig a little temporary shade if they wilt during sun hours at first to help them take the change from pot to ground in stride.

Whatever the true identity of your hydrangeas (regardless of the labels), they'll bloom next year with the same flower form. The flowers' color may change to blue tones as the roots expand into garden soil, but consider the blue equally as beautiful as the rose. If they are mislabelled, their mature height & spread may differ from expectatons over time, but as long as you aren't planting them in a line like a hedge, that shouldn't much matter in that location.

Lowe's is infamous for mislabelled plants. Don't frequent HD but certainly believe others' reports the same is true there. Since both have generous return policies, often go ahead & buy to research at home if the plants are in short supply rather than checking before purchase when many are available, since appealing well-priced plants can be cleared out quickly. The hydrangeas tend to be among the most typically mistagged, but that can work in your favor if you're up on different varieties & can spot the oddballs. Sometimes rarer plants are marked as more common ones & priced considerably less than they would be if properly identified. Those of us who check the stock frequently often score in the thrill of the hunt. And many highly reputable nurseries send out mismarked plants, too.

Please keep us updated on the growth of your lovely hydrangeas!

• 1818 Federal (7bEC)
    4 years ago

use a paniculata for sun. little limelight is marketed to stay under 5ft. i saw them at Lowes

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    4 years ago

This is a five year old thread!! I am pretty sure the OP resolved this issue one way or the other several years ago :-))