Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kentstar_gw

Blue Heaven hydrangea pink?!

kentstar
13 years ago

lolol. I know, I know, that's the way it goes when it comes to hydrangeas. lol

My soil must be alkaline.

I planted Blue Heaven last spring and now am finally seeing the blooms and they're pink!

What can I do and when should I do it to force the blue color, if I can?

Also, a couple of the buds "browned out". What causes that? What can I do to keep them from doing that? Not everyone did that just a couple.

Thanks

Cathy

Comments (12)

• luis_pr
    13 years ago

Have you considered that maybe the potting soil that it came in contains soil that is near neutral in acidity? New roots take a while to develop into your ground soil so the current color may be influenced by the acidity of the potting soil. To tell if your soil IS alkaline, make a soil test, ask neighbors, ask local nearby nurseries or buy a soil pH kit. Aluminum sulfate, garden Sulphur or greensand can be added to acidify the soil and get blues but do this only if your soil is neutral or alkaline. The shrub should be undergoing transplant shock; that and-or moisture issues could cause some of the buds to brown out. If you get any blooms on year one, that is ok but do not worry too much. The plant should concentrate on a good root system on year one instead. Any bloomage is just icing on the cake! Enjoy.

• kentstar
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I should be more specific, I planted it last spring, like spring 2009. It isn't undergoing any transplant shock then. I did have me soil tested in another bed close by and that proved to have a pH of 7.7.

• hydrangeasnohio
    13 years ago

Kenstar how much sun does your BH get. I have found that it is my most sensative Hydrangea to the sun. They can't handle full sun pass 11am. It is still newly plated in my opinion, even though it was planted last Spring. Just pinch the browned out buds. It will need plenty of water still this year. Don't worry it is just going through some growing pains. The BH is very reliable for me and will be for you also. Just plenty of water it's first couple of years and morning sun. I also have one that only gets some dappled evening sun for an hour or two that does great!

I bought this liquid from Pettiti's to turn them Blue that works like a charm and was only $2 for a bottle. Although that was a couple of years ago, might be a little more now. I have a soil PH right in the middle. No matter if they are planted pink or blue they all turn purple on me, but it is easy to change them back either way! I have one bed that leans more blue, so I have alot of fun playing with the colors!

• jean001
    13 years ago

It takes a hydrangea 3 to 4 years to settle in, develop a sturdy root system , and gradually acquire the normal "bloom" color.

Every time the roots are disturbed, the color will change, then need time to again re-stabilize.

• kentstar
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hydrangeasinohio, do you remember the name of the liquid stuff? Sounds promising though. I've only seen granules, like the one I have is Espoma Soil Acidifier.

The hydrangea's otherwise doing great. Not too many blooms, but there are blooms. I have maybe 5 blooms going. Purple color would be good for me too as my color scheme is purples and one orange geum.

Thanks all for the tips and I'll post pics tomorrow :)

• pomonaflower
    13 years ago

The longer the "blue" blooms stayed on my plant last year, the pinker they became. This season, the one and only bloom (so far) is a beautiful blue and even in our 90 degree heat has lasted for weeks. Wish I knew why there aren't more flowers. Can anybody tell me if they bloom on old growth or on new growth? Do I cut them back at the end of the season or just let them be?

• hydrangeasnohio
    13 years ago

Kenstar it is Miracle Grow Acid Loving Plants. With a hydrangea bloom on it. I am sorry it is a fine powder that you mix up easily into a liquid. Not sure why I didn't specify. Haven't done it this year. Played around with it alot last year. Here is some pics I snapped today of my BH.

• kentstar
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thankyou! I'll keep an eye out for it! Do you apply in the fall? Or early spring before the buds form? And how often do you apply it?

Cathy

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    13 years ago

Hydrangeasnohio, Just gorgeous photos!! What is it about these colors that make you go WOW! when you see them no matter what color and no matter what stage they are in!!
    Love em all!!

Donna

• kentstar
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Got some "Miracid" same thing I guess.

• hydrangeasnohio
    13 years ago

Sounds like the same thing. I apply mine in Spring and Summer. I think they say the best time to apply is in Spring before the buds open. But I have seen the colors change after already being open in Summer before. Just do not apply to much. Better to little than to much.

• kentstar
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Right, everything in moderation! Sounds good, once in spring before the buds open and once in summer.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting