Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hayseedman

Hydrangeas in the News.

hayseedman
15 years ago

Try to avoid the temptation to eat them.

"The Yomiuri Shimbun

MITO--Eight people who ate hydrangea leaves served as a trimming to a main dish at a restaurant in Tsukuba, Ibaraki Prefecture, suffered food-poisoning symptoms such as vomiting and dizziness, the Ibaraki prefectural government said Sunday.

Of the eight, one woman in her 30s and another in her 40s got medical attention at a clinic. Both are recovering well, according to the sources.

Hydrangea leaves contain a substance that produces hydrocyanic acid in reaction with stomach acids. Staff at the restaurant did not know the plant was toxic. One employee who was quizzed by a prefectural official is quoted as saying, "We used the leaves to add a seasonal touch."

According to the sources, a group of 19 people had dinner at Yushoku Itarian Fujiemon Sakae, a fusion restaurant, on June 13. Eight of the group later complained of sickness.

(Jun. 24, 2008)

Hay

Comments (10)

• ostrich
    15 years ago

Oh my!!! Is that why my Bambi friends (NOT! They are more like my enemies LOL) generally leave my hydrangeas alone? Now, a few of the Pinky Winky leaves got chewed on a few days ago. I wonder if Bambi has since had tummy upset? That would teach him/her a lesson :-)

• ditas
    15 years ago

I thought that it is a well known fact, about the toxicity of H foliage, but I also remember reading somewhere, that one has to consume quite a bit of them ... apparently not huh?! Perhaps the factor of super sensitivity/allergic reaction played in this unfortunate happenstance.

So to us, novice to H - * caution ... 'don't taste the foliage when comparing details on your growing H collection'!!! LOL

• ditas
    15 years ago

oops, sorry Hay - forgot to thank you for this valuable piece of news!!!

• Gary M
    15 years ago

Deer ate some wild shrubs right next to my H Emerald??, the chewed the shrub to the ground and did not eat my hydrangea. Maybe they are smarter than we thought.

Gary

• Iris GW
    15 years ago

In my neighborhood, Hydrangea is a favorite with the deer. My neighbor who has a LOT of them finally installed an electric wire around the perimeter of her garden.

• hayseedman
    Original Author
    15 years ago

As many of you know, I overwinter a lot of Hydrangeas by basically storing them under bags of dry leaves for the winter. I've been doing it for years and I've always been amazed that the rodents don't eat the bark or the buds. But they don't. I've suspected that the buds and the bark must just tasted particularly bad, but I'm not going to find out.

More Hydrangea News

Just a very nice article with a lot of little details about varieties all in one spot.

"But there's also a whole new CityLine series that has been introduced by the worldwide Proven Winners nursery group.

These are all named after European cities -- 'Paris,' 'Berlin,' 'Vienna' and 'Venice' -- and come in a range of cheerful tones from fuchsia to bubblegum pink.

Marketed as "improved hybrids from Germany," CityLine hydrangeas are said to be more sturdy and less floppy than other kinds."

I have Paris and I think it's a very nice blue.

Hay

• ego45
    15 years ago

I have Paris (actualy two of them) and think it's a very nice deep raspberry red :-)

As always, most saturated blues makes deeper reds and vise versa :-)

• hayseedman
    Original Author
    15 years ago

{{gwi:1006340}}

Paris. You can click the image for a larger view.

An article about Mal Condon who is now associated with Nantucket Hydrangea which has been my principal source for Hydrangea varieties over the years. (Including Paris)

Hay

• razorback33
    15 years ago

Just received SM's new catalog and find 2 more additions to the Cityline Series, Cityline Mars (H.m. 'Ramars') & Cityline Rio (H.m.'Ragra').
    Cityline Mars is a Picotee, à la 'Harlequin' & 'Buttons & Bows'
    2 more Picotees are being introduced, under the Edgy Line of Hyds, Edgy Hearts (H.m.'Horheart') & Edgy Orbits (H.m.'Harbits').
    My cemetery is already full of Picotee's so they shall remain just pretty pictures!
    Rb

• ego45
    15 years ago

"My cemetery is already full of Picotee's so they shall remain just pretty pictures! "

LOL!!!

It took only 4 years for mine pot-grown Angel Robe (Halo series) to finaly produce good show (7-8 blooms) this year and only after I fertilized her with 6-24-3 last year. Picture of the sngle flower it managed to produce in 2007.

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH