Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to shade macs

Posted by ivysmom 8b/9a - Houston (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 9, 11 at 16:09

Has anyone here built anything to shade their macs? I am moving the ones in pots around the yard to see where they do best, and there doesn't really seem to be an "ideal" spot as we have no trees in the yard. The only shade is around a storage shed, and even with that, there's still pretty bright sun 5-6 hours a day.

So, I'm thinking of building a pergola to cover the areas where the macs will wind up... or maybe a plant umbrella or... heck, I dunno. A pergola would look nicest.

Anyone here done something like this or seen something like it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to shade macs

I added a pergola, some trees (still small) and I have seen others use shade cloth.

o

• Posted by ditas z 4b-5 Iowa (My Page) on
    Fri, Jun 10, 11 at 7:57

I have created a temporary trellis/arbor inexpensively w/ plasti-coated poles, plasticoated garden wire fencing material & & garden wire all bought from HD! Very easy to put together what's more easy to relocate. I used garden shade fabric on top while waiting for potted Sweet Autumn Clem to climb over the wire ~ this climber did not disappoint!

I thought to do this when we cut down a tree that shaded my 20y/o Nikko before I could move her to a p/s site!

Good luck!

o

• Posted by ivysmom 8b/9a - Houston (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 16, 11 at 14:50

ditas -
Do you happen to have a photo of that? I'm trying to picture what it looks like, and not quite getting there.

o

Thu, Jun 16, 11 at 19:11

Hi Ivy ~ I do have the current one posted ~ let me add the first temp one I did in 2009 to show better & post for you ~ very easy & functional even if it won't win any awards!!! LOL

o
RE: How to shade macs ~ trellis

Thu, Jun 16, 11 at 20:38

Hi again Ivy ~ as promised here are pix I pulled to add to this existing album for Clems to climb over. SAC (Sweet Autumn Clem) if planted early in Spring can easily cover the top of the trellis/arbor of plasti-coated poles & fencing wires to shade your mac as it did mine. As I posted above I ended up relocating Nikko & had to dig up & potted Sac. I dismantled trellis/arbor rebuilt as you'll see in this album.

Click to pix to make bigger. 'Hope this helps!

Here is a link that might be useful: Easy trellis/arbor

o

• Posted by ivysmom 8b/9a - Houston (My Page) on
    Fri, Jun 17, 11 at 11:03

Ah yes, thank you so much!! Now I can see exactly what you're talking about, and it looks easy enough :)

o

Fri, Jun 17, 11 at 21:33

Welcome Ivymom ~ won't get an A for attractiveness but functional enough & for my purpose ~ SAC' will be the show in Sept. Actually SAC in now touching the top & soon fill it as she did in '07. I put her in the ground towards the end of May ~ had I put her in sooner she'd be crawling on top by now & shading my 2 Macs.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here