Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Vinegar to turn Hydrangeas blue?

Posted by msalcido 7/8 (Dallas/Ft.Worth (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 21, 10 at 16:09

OK. I'm curious to hear what others say about using vinegar to turn hydrangeas blue. Anyone ever done this?
What did my grandmother use when I was a child. I know for sure none of the products we have now where available. Someone told me she probably used vinegar? Could that do the trick? Another recommendation was to put nails in the soil where they are planted so they would rust off and that would also work?

Just curious what everyone else thinks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Vinegar to turn Hydrangeas blue?

• Posted by msalcido 7/8 (Dallas/Ft.Worth (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 21, 10 at 19:01

I love the internet! LOL...here is something I found online. Even though it says it works, I'm wondering if anyone has actually tried it?

Here is a link that might be useful: Blue Blooms with Vinegar

o

Interesting Article. I will have to try this as I know for a fact that our soil here is rich in aluminum but it is not available due to the alkaline soil. I will have to try this next. I especially love how cheap vinegar is. Thanks!

o

• Posted by msalcido 7/8 (Dallas/Ft.Worth (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 23, 10 at 14:59

I'm afraid to try it. LOL. With my luck it will harm my hydrangeas. If you try it let me know the outcome.

o

I used it last year on mine but I also used the powdered aluminum so I dob,t know which to credit with my blue flowers. I added it because my water tested alkaline. I was only using about a capful per watering can though . I would be to scared to use the cupful per gallon the article suggested. My luck I would kill them all.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here